Grape vines up a gothic arch

• 5 Replies

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
Grape vines up a gothic arch
« on: October 11, 2013, 12:50 »
Good afternoon. I have recently brought 4 outdoor hardy grapevines this week and intend to grow them up an archway over my allotment. Has anyone tried this before, or has anyone got any tips for me to succeed in this little project. My husband suggested buying another arch and put wires between the two for them to grow. Before I start this I want to make sure I am doing it right.  :unsure:

Trillium

Re: Grape vines up a gothic arch
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 15:55 »
I bought 6 grape plants to grow along both sides of an arbor we built and strung lines for training the grapes, much like you see in vineyards. These are eating grapes and they had their own ideas - once the roots established themselves (took 2 years) they went rampant to the point that I started hacking off vines sprouting daily from every direction. No amount of trimming would get them to behave in an orderly manner so I simply started tying them up along support posts, then across joints. I still kept hacking excess foliage and they seemed to love it, the little beasts  >:(  The arbor I built for an attractive focal point is now buried in grape vines and leaves.  Now I just hack off (literally) anything that gets in my way and tie up the rest.

The good side is that I got many many clusters of grapes everywhere. They weren't large like eating grapes, but I had so many that we made lots of grape juice for bottling.

It's very possible your gothic arch could become overrun as mine did and the 2nd (simple) arch would help stabilize the first.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 18:20 »
Thank you very much trillium really not sure what to do now as i paid 12.99 per plant

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 22:32 »
I agree with Trillium.  My niece bought my father one grape vine about four years ago for father's day.  It now covers an arch on both sides, all from from one plant and is very vigorous.   My mother tells me it now has a full crop of grapes, which will be ready for picking next week when we visit.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:38 by AnneB »

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 23:05 »
What vines have you bought? Do you want them purely for eating or for wine making?
Silky :D :D :D
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:25 »
AnneB thank you for your reply that sounds very encouraging to hear from someone who knows someone who has actually grown them up an arch with success.
Silkworm thank you for your reply I have brought 2 red and 2 white vines it says on the label and website you can use them for eating and wine making, I was looking for eating them but if I have loads and loads I might give making some wine ago.

xx
grape vines

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 21:39
by Trillium
xx
Grape vines

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2015, 21:39
by jambop
xx
Grape vines - what should I be doing?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:00
by joshbuchan
xx
Grape vines

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 19:14
by realfood

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.