can anyone recommend sites for debris netting ?

• 17 Replies

starry

can anyone recommend sites for debris netting ?
« on: May 06, 2011, 13:15 »
I have found some 3m x 20m £18:90 per roll plus £4 p&p is this good sounds pretty reasonable to me but as I have never brought it before I wouldn't know ??   :blink: ::)
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: can anyone recommend sites for debris netting ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 13:18 »
This online store offers a bit more at a slight cost increase, so it seems comparable. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 14:29 »
Can I ask what do you use the stuff for?  The holes look far too big to stop Cabbage white or carrotfly.  Is it just bird netting?
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

Apostrophes

• http://www.richard-seymour.net
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 14:39 »
Get in touch with a local scaffolding firm. That's what we do at our allotments in Stevenage. They can only use debris netting once and have to throw it away after that. We get it free.
The idiots are winning.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 15:06 »
http://www.qvsshop.co.uk/netting-58-c.asp

I rang this company up to ask if they had any netting that only had the eyelet bands at each side and not down the middle (was worried bugs might still get in through the middle band of eyelets) and the guy there couldn't have been more helpful. He even went and unwrapped a package to look for me but sadly the only stock he had was the type with 3 bands.
However........looking on here I have seen photos of this type in use so I guess it must be OK. He also advertises on EBay. Great chap to talk to as he also grows all his own veg etc (he uses wondermesh because it lasts longer than the debris netting) and knows why people use it for gardens etc.

I would recommend this company because of the decent service they appear to provide.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

starry

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 17:05 »
I'm going to use it for my brassicas,  I have already used butterfly netting (very small holes) but I find the netting very stiff and doesn't drape well!
 I'm not worried about the big holes I am handy with a large darning needle!!
Thanks argyllie I will have a measure up and see if I can get away with the small width seems like a bargain  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 17:10 »
Can I ask what do you use the stuff for?  The holes look far too big to stop Cabbage white or carrotfly.  Is it just bird netting?

debris netting has very small holes and works perfectly against fly and cabbage whites :)
I think you must be confusing it with some other sort of netting  ;)

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 17:34 »
This online store offers a bit more at a slight cost increase, so it seems comparable. :)

Wow, that does seem reasonable!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 18:12 »

Wow, that does seem reasonable!

Before posting that link, I had a quick scout round eBay and didn't see anything approaching these prices.

:)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 19:03 »

I'm butting in here a bit because I don't "do" brassicas any more but I do grow carrots!

Debris netting has a small enough mesh size to keep out cabbage white butterflies but for carrots you need enviromesh (or similar.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 19:33 »
Dunno if their price is good, but I got mine from Tarpaflex

I haven't bothered to do anything about the rows of eyelets, and have only seen one Cabbage White inside the netting in two years of use (I have about 30M of Brassica beds covered, and same again to keep the pigeons off).

Make sure you buy a wide enough roll. The height of cover is:

(RollWidth - WidthOfBed) / 2

I have 4' wide beds, so for a 3M wide roll that is

(3M - 4') / 2 which, plugging this into Google:

(3 metres - 4 feet) / 2 in feet =

gives 2.9 feet - Substitute your values / units to suit :)

I would also be thoughtful about buying any colour other than Black. The Blue and Turquoise looked OK to me in their pictures, but my wife tells me that they are an eyesore!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 19:35 by Kristen »

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 11:33 »
Sorry Kristen - I might be a bit thick here but you totally lost me with your calculations - I had definite de ja vue of being back in school staring helplessly at algebra examples on the blackboard when I looked at your sums  :lol:

However, was interested in your comments about the colours as I was wondering what that 'green' one looked like in the garden plots.

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 11:46 »
i bought some of ebay from covers-to-go,they were the cheapest and delivery was 3days ,i  got some old scaffold netting but there were to many big holes  so it wasnt worth using.

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 11:59 »
I also had mine from Tarpalex (excellent service) and agree with Kristen about the colour. Even green looks "off" given the chance Id buy black next time.

Sorry Kristen - I might be a bit thick here but you totally lost me with your calculations

If your beds are 4ft get the 3m wide netting theres not enough left out of 2m to cover the bed at a good height.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 10:11 »
I bought 50m @3m wide for £38 on Ebay including postage. Then let it be known on the plot that I had plenty to spare and sold 2/3 of it. This meant that I ended up getting what I needed at a very good price.

As for the central rows of holes - my wife very kindly ran it thro her sowing machine - job done. ;)

Regards, WG

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
Debris netting

Started by Tohmahtae on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 18:50
by sunshineband
xx
Debris netting

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 16:01
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Debris Netting

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 15:35
by Ice

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 34 queries.