marigold seeds best way to plant and grow

• 4 Replies

LILLILEAF

marigold seeds best way to plant and grow
« on: January 02, 2023, 16:42 »
Last year i had a go at growing marigolds, they are as most people know a long seed.
Now i planted a whole tray of seed, i only got 4 plants to grow from the whole tray >:(.
could someone advise the best way for better results any thing is better than 4, 5 would be great :D.
I know how great these are keeping pests away from the tomato plants.Lillileaf

rowlandwells

Re: marigold seeds best way to plant and grow
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 14:38 »
I have to say I'm not the flower person my wife has always sowed the flower seeds including marigolds and we grow quite a lot of marigolds from seed I think she always starts the seed of in trays and marigold are one of the best seed to germinate a good quality seed should be fine in MP compost we start ours of in the greenhouse when the weather starts to warm up then prick out into pots never had any problems growing marigolds as for the varieties Vanilla. Durango. and Brocade series a cheaper series for planting in tubs

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 17:04 »
Hello LILLILEAF

What I would do is what I did last year. tart

Start by chitting them.  Soak for a couple hours (2 hours is enough for such a thin seed).  Drain carefully, put in between 2 layers of damp (not soaking wet) kitchen paper. Put in a plastic container with a lid, or in a plastic bag.

The seeds will sprout quickly.  In a day or two, some will show the start of a root emerging.  When that happens, distribute/space all seeds carefully over the surface of a prepared seed tray.  The tray should have at least an inch of seed starting compost in it, moist but not soaking wet. When the seeds are distributed, cover with about 1/4 inch of additional moist compost.  Cover the tray with clear plastic (cling wrap will do).

Keep the tray in a bright location.  Indirect light will do.  Check to see if the seeds are emerging through the compost.  When it seems like better than half of the seeds have emerged, remove the plastic cover, you can move to brighter light.  Mist the surface of the seed tray daily, as needed, to keep the compost moist (again, not wet).

When you see secondary (true) leaves emerging from between the seed leaves, you can lift individual plants from the flat and plant in individual pots.  A table fork (plastic or other) makes a great tool for lifting plants.  If it is necessary to handle the plants, try handling the leaves rather than the stems (it reduces the chances of "damping off").

When there are two or more sets of true leaves, you can plant the seedlings anywhere you want, weather permitting.

The above suggestions will also work with many other types of plants grown from seed.

Good luck!

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 21:27 »
I grow about 120 marigold plants each year, for 2 gardens. I find It's better to wait for a bit of warmth, than try to start them off too early when they can damp off.   I normally start them in seed trays.  Mice will eat the seeds and leave the husks behind,  and slugs and snails can make short work of young plants, so as soon as they're coming through I put a small number of slug pellets on each seed tray.

You can sow direct too, a bit later on, to make even more plants, if I'm doing that I put a pinch of seed at each station to allow for failures, and again put a few slug pellets down.

I do sow quite a few spares in each tray, as they don't all come through, and some years have re-sown after a couple of weeks to thicken the tray up if a lot have missed. As the seed is fairly plentiful, I always try to have a few extra plants spare to replace any losses when they're planted out. 

G&R

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 16:29 »
wow i am really going to have a good go with all this fantastic help, i have collected about 200 seeds so lots of seeds to have a good chance.Thank you :)

xx
Rapid germinatiion of marigold seeds

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:10
by lochnesslass
xx
plant to grow up house wall

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post July 21, 2014, 09:58
by andyf75
xx
marigold varieties

Started by Carollan on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 23:31
by sarajane
xx
MARIGOLD CRACKERJACKS

Started by duncan on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 15:54
by duncan

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 39 queries.