Battered 'straw' hat.

• 4 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Battered 'straw' hat.
« on: May 02, 2022, 12:50 »
Good afternoon everyone,
with constantly putting on and removing my 'straw' hat the front has become very misshapen.  I've re-formed the front, held it in place with kitchen paper and slapped a load of diluted wood glue on it.  After drying it held the original shape and is much stronger (the wood glue dried clear) although the kitchen paper was a divvil to remove.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Battered 'straw' hat.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 18:27 »
One of the recent Repair Shop episodes I watched did a repair of an old wartime hat. The expert asked the member of the public if the original wearer of the hat had been left-handed, which indeed he had been. They could tell from the wear on one side of the front of the hat, where the thumb of the hand would have applied greater pressure on the fabric when putting the hat on / taking it off.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 06:39 »
I can remember going to a gent's outfitters with an uncle, to buy a new trilby hat.

When he'd chosen it, the shop assistant led him over to a machine, which had steam coming out at all angles, and he shaped it over the steam exactly to fit Uncle Jack's head!

My favourite hats are one of my dad's old golfing caps, (re-made out of two similar, my head's bigger than his was, and required a rear 'gusset'(!), a new tweed cap for car emergencies, a 'Laird' tweed hat like the original Pop Larkin's, for walking New Dog, a straw hat with school colours on the band for the Summer and a Kent County Cricket Club floppy hat, from my days supporting them in Canterbury and which makes Mrs Growster laugh uncontrollably for some reason...

jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 07:24 »
Hello saw title thought it was something to eat   jezza

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 07:30 »
Forgot to mention my leather bush hat for walking New Dog in the rain...

xx
The Last Straw!

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post December 25, 2020, 20:48
by John

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 44 queries.