Sausages

• 15 Replies

mrs bouquet

Sausages
« on: April 11, 2022, 12:33 »
Never, ever again in my life will I cook sausages.  I love them and don't buy them often, but when I do I buy 97% pork content.   This is only every couple of years.   At the weekend I decided to cook some which were in the freezer.   I put a tiny drop of water into a deep sided oven dish having lined the oven with foil and covering the bangers.   35 minutes later, the bangers were swilling in about 1 inch of fluid and looked very dead - horrid,  I transferred then onto a tray with a rack, thankfully foiled lined again, and put the grill on.
5 minutes later - what a nightmare.     Blue smoke, fat splashing everywhere.  I hurriedly put the whole lot out side.   Opened all the doors and windows.     It took me a whole day to wire wool the oven rungs, the trays, and try to get rid of the smell.  Pots, pans, glass jugs full of fat and the stuff from the pans.
Had to wash all my clothes, apron, oven gloves etc.    Now everywhere is squeaky clean and smell free, but never again.   Only sausages when out now.   But I did eat them and they were tasty.   Perhaps a very small bbq is my answer   :lol: :lol:    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

Re: Sausages
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 13:11 »
Can't disagree about the smell it does tend to linger. I'm curious as to why you put water in with them though. I just put them in a tin lined with nonstick foil and poke a few holes in the skins, cheap sausages are just nasty, I hate to think about what goes in them let alone what comes out.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 17:00 »
Google said the water would stop them sticking - rubbish  :D  Mrs B

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 17:31 »
I regularly cook and eat sausages from our local butcher. But I cook them in the oven not initially under the grill as generates too much smoke fat etc. My normal method is to drop them on a tray having added a little olive oil to stop sticking. Once they are pretty well cooked I briefly turn on the combined oven and grill option to ensure they are an appealing colour. Afraid I love sausage sandwiches so I cook a couple of extra sausages for lunch the next day. (Perhaps not the healthy option!)
Keep digging

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 19:54 »
we often cook sausages mainly in the oven there from a local butcher who makes many flavours but we usually stick to there traditional pork  as we shop for our meat about every three months to put the freezer we buy several pounds of sausage and  put them  in the freezer and I must say there sausages cook well had no probs

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 06:25 »
I only buy them from local butcher and cook them in the oven.  Even with the extractor fan on the smell seems to linger.

perris

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 07:32 »
All sorts of sausages are very popular here. We cook them in a George Forman grill; its non-stick coating works (and the ones with detachable heat plates can be cleaned in the dishwasher), and it's amazingly quick because both sides are in direct contact with a heat plate and are being cooked simultaneously. They're not expensive and I'd recommend them to anyone who likes grilled food. They come in small and family sizes too so no waste of energy.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 12:54 »
All sorts of sausages are very popular here. We cook them in a George Forman grill; its non-stick coating works (and the ones with detachable heat plates can be cleaned in the dishwasher), and it's amazingly quick because both sides are in direct contact with a heat plate and are being cooked simultaneously. They're not expensive and I'd recommend them to anyone who likes grilled food. They come in small and family sizes too so no waste of energy.

If I had one of those, could I put an old t.towel on my ceramic hob and stand grill on it, then it will be directly under the extractor.  ?  Mrs B

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 16:19 »
Tossco 'finest' range of bangers are all very good IMHO and produce very little fat when cooking, so I fry them in a little oil in a small non-stick frying pan with a pyrex lid (they cook quicker and don't spit onto the hob.)

They do need turning once or twice, which can be fiddly because like all bangers when fried, they start off straight and finish up banana-shaped!  ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

perris

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 05:39 »

If I had one of those, could I put an old t.towel on my ceramic hob and stand grill on it, then it will be directly under the extractor.  ?  Mrs B

I imagine so; ours is on legs and it doesn't get noticably hot underneath. Make sure the drip tray is in place thou or you'll have a greasy tea-towel to wash!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 13:43 »
I was looking on Google at the George Foreman's, and remembered that I had a single electric hot plate, which had never been used.   I found it unopened in the box, so now I can cook sausages and other stuff in my frying pan on the hot plate in the garden.   Only in the summer though  !!!! Thanks for all your help,  Mrs B

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2022, 19:40 »
I'm limited to eating sausage made from turkey or chicken. (no meat from mammals for me due to Galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose (alpha-gal) syndrome; call it an allergy).

An advantage is that sausage made from poultry is usually lower in fat, and cooks with less mess.

Turkey bratwurst, I cook in a pan with a lid, with 1 cm or so water in it, and just a bit of oil, covered. Turn them over once when half the water is gone. When nearly all the water is gone, put in the sauerkraut, stir occasionally, cook until the kraut browns just a little.

Turkey Italian sausage can also get the water cooking, with  sliced onions and peppers at the end instead of sauerkraut.

The turkey or chicken breakfast links, patties, pepperoni or smoked sausage are also good IMO. You don't sacrifice much flavor for the lower fat I the poultry versions.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 05:40 »
Our favourite snags are 'Korkers', made locally in Rolvenden; their chipolatas are perfect for the oven on a wire tray over a baking dish!

Otherwise, if there's some sort of urgency (and with Korkers, there usually is), I just fry them with a little veg oil...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 14:32 »
I agree with that, Mr G. Hoads Korkers are definitely the best!

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 06:28 »
I agree with that, Mr G. Hoads Korkers are definitely the best!

They only sell through small retailers don't they, so any farm shop gets a chance, and the supermarkets miss out, which can't be bad!

Apparently, you can go direct to them in the village, and I think the shop on the main road sells them at the same price - and why not!

Off to the freezer as we speak...:0)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 06:34 by Growster... »

xx
No more sausages for me !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post July 14, 2018, 12:53
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 51 queries.