Ukraine

• 60 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2022, 09:26 »
I've just read that Putin has denied he's invading Ukraine and that it's all fake news. DER??????????????????????? ??? ??? ??? :unsure: :( :( :(
Putin's claims are so ridiculous now you have to wonder about his sanity.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

rowlandwells

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2022, 16:37 »
yes I bought the DVD of downfall a very good film and I believe its as near to the truth as it gets as for madman Putin well who knows where he's going after Ukraine it looks like Finland's getting a bit worried because there talking about joining NATO

is there anyone that thinks Putin is doing the rite thing  invading  the Ukraine and at the same time threatening democratic countries to get lost or face the consequences you westerners  :mad:

so has the Russian bear chased of the British  bulldog back in his kennel  :D or is the bulldog getting ready to sort the bear out  :D :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2022, 18:54 »
so has the Russian bear chased of the British  bulldog back in his kennel  :D or is the bulldog getting ready to sort the bear out  :D :D
If NATO gets into direct armed conflict with Russia things could escalate very quickly. Simply put, if Putin presses the button we're all doomed. There can be no winners in a nuclear exchange. So our options are very limited.
I have no doubt our forces could cause Putin serious harm. Our troops are better trained, equipped and have higher morale. NATO as a whole would win in short order but the thing that stops us is the 5,000 bombs at Putin's command.
Best hope is regime change in Russia - the usual way - loser gets a free bullet in the brain.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2022, 05:04 »
Sadly Rowland, former US  president Donald Trump has openly praised Putin for the invasion. That's not an opinion, it's a documented fact.

The risk of Putin using nuclear weapons (anywhere in the world) prevents the west from stepping in with military action. Our best course is to keep supplying Ukraine with as many weapons as we can. I think when Russian soldiers keep coming home in body bags, sanctions drag on and increase in Russia, his own people  may rise up against him.

At some point I think Putin will become desperate enough that he will attack NATO countries that support Ukraine. If that happens, NATO countries will act militarily, I believe.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2022, 09:26 »
At some point I think Putin will become desperate enough that he will attack NATO countries that support Ukraine. If that happens, NATO countries will act militarily, I believe.
There in lies the terrifying threat that hangs over all our heads. Part of me says we should refuse to bow to the bully and the other part of me says life under the boot is better than seeing the world become a radioactive hell.
I think Russia's conventional forces, whilst being very large, are proving to be far less capable than anyone thought. Remember Russia is a not a wealthy country. The average wage is apparently about $450 a month. When a bunch of farmers take on a truck with a $20 million missile system and burn it, that's a serious blow that the Russians can't afford.
Every tank, helicopter and truck they lose is a further cost. The west can and will supply weapons to take them out effectively without regard to the expense.
As if the planet hasn't enough problems without this.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2022, 13:37 »
A thought about the seized assets that formerly belonged to Putin and his cronies / oligarchs. Including Putin's $600 billion rainy day fund.

Sell the lot, use the proceeds to buy as many weapons systems as the Ukrainians need. If they prevail, use the remainder to fund rebuilding the homes and businesses Putin has bombed.

Just a thought. There's probably some UN law against it ...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2022, 01:52 »
Volodymyr O. Zelenskyy.

This guy, with no experience in politics or leadership before being elected as President of Ukraine, is giving courage to an entire country, and is inspiring the world.  I saw that The House of Commons gave him a standing ovation today, after his address to them.

During his speech, he said:

"The question for us now is to be or not to be. The Shakespearean question. For 13 days this question has been asked. I can give you a definitive answer — yes, to be,"

and also:

"We will not give up, and we will not lose. We will fight till the end — at sea, in the air, we will continue fighting for our land whatever the cost. We will fight in the forests, in the fields, on the shores, in the streets."

I can't help but see some Churchill in the man. World wide, I don't think any other modern leader had led with so much courage.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2022, 09:35 »
The man may be taking a leaf out of Churchill's speech but the strength and resolve he and the Ukrainian people are showing is beyond remarkable.
I expected the Russians to have basically won by day three but instead they are stalled. The deficiencies of the Russian planning are compounded by their troops realising they are fighting an illegal, immoral war against people that were their friends.
There's some lines from a poem by Thomas Babington Macaulay we had to do at school comes to mind about this:

"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods."

rowlandwells

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2022, 20:21 »
that's a brilliant reply John

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2022, 21:24 »
The Russians destroying a maternity hospital  :mad: That's just evil  :(

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2022, 23:41 »
The Russians destroying a maternity hospital  :mad: That's just evil  :(

Just try to keep in mind that both sides are playing the propaganda war. Keep a little margin of skepticism with these kind of reports. Note I'm not in anyway defending Russia and it's actions here, I just don't trust either side to be honest in this war.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2022, 00:17 »
Just try to keep in mind that both sides are playing the propaganda war. Keep a little margin of skepticism with these kind of reports. Note I'm not in anyway defending Russia and it's actions here, I just don't trust either side to be honest in this war.
Sure the Ukrainians will want to push their case but just remember the Ukrainians never killed British people with nerve gas and basically laughed 'prove it' at us. We know Putin has no regard for truth or agreements. So, the balance of probabilities will be Kremlin lies and Ukrainian truth. Sure, be sceptical but keep in mind which side it is coming from when weighing the statements.

rowlandwells

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2022, 09:36 »
once again vert true John here in Northamptonsire we are doing our bit lorries have been sent loaded with essential supplies to the Ukraine and there's more to follow

its getting ever more distressing by the day to see what happening to those poor soles in the Ukraine

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2022, 10:28 »
I read this on Al-Jazeera, so there is some 3rd party confirmation of attacks on medical facilities.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said healthcare facilities in Ukraine were being attacked; in a tweet on March 5, the WHO said that it had “published 6 verified reports of attacks on health care in Ukraine. More reports are being verified. WHO strongly condemns these attacks that caused 6 deaths & 11 injuries. Health facilities, staff & patients are #NotATarget.”

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2022, 09:12 »
Well here we are on day 20. The heroic Russian 3 day offensive against those Jewish Nazi children and pregnant women seems to be making little progress.
Seriously, it's hard to know what to say as the horrific mess progresses. Hopefully we'll continue to get aid through to Ukraine and enable them to beat back the invader whilst doing our part to help the refugees.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 51 queries.