Last pub shuttered.

• 15 Replies

Lardman

Last pub shuttered.
« on: January 31, 2022, 11:17 »
When I moved here in '07 there were 4 pubs within a stones throw (500 yards) of the main junction on each of the feeder roads. One by one they've been closed and converted into flats and the car parks into terrace mewses. The last one was shuttered over the weekend.  :( I know it the way things are going, and the last pub was a "kids pub" with all the associated problems, but it's still a shame to see businesses servicing the local community disappear.  There are no pubs left now within walking distance just one restaurant chain type and last time I went past their car park was already a building site.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Last pub shuttered.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 11:49 »
That's very sad, they are, in a way, like a community centre for a lot of people.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 13:46 »
Locally there used to be a lot of "working men's clubs" which were akin to pubs but which did things like leek shows around here. So far the pubs in town seem to be surviving but they are no long watering holes like they used to be. The ones which do good meals or have a reputation for good band nights and quiz nights seem to be hanging on in there.

But if you want a pub that is a social watering hole only - forget it.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 23:16 »
We have a handful of pubs near by ,all have in the last few years , been “ improved “ into basically Resturants with bars.  Gone are the days of meeting friends for a drink.
I know that food ( especially desserts ) turn a greater profit than drinks and snacks ,  but  why this drive for profit before anything else ? .

Christine

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 15:20 »
I know that food ( especially desserts ) turn a greater profit than drinks and snacks ,  but  why this drive for profit before anything else ? .
Not enough beer drinkers going along and propping up the bar with more than one pint in an evening likely.

wighty

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 16:39 »
We've lost both of the villages' pubs.  One is now a Tesco local and the other is shuttered over but the landlord was killed on his allotment a couple of years ago.  Don't ask me for any more info on that as it is a bit of a sore    point.  :closedeyes:

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 19:24 »
They are running a business. Without profit they don’t exist. What sort of utopian world do you live in ?

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 21:52 »
I’m well aware of the need to make profit . I am in business myself. I would never put profit before anything else . I believe in a holistic approach , make enough money to be happy , and keep your customers happy.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 06:21 »
The costs of wholesale beer, especially from the bigger breweries, has rocketed in the last few years, and if we went out nowadays, we'd be paying near enough £12.00 for just a couple of drinks, so it just doesn't stack up any more! A lovely chum and her daughter found they'd paid neary £20.00 for two glasses of English Wine the other day!

But the good news is that our village local won the Knorr prize for a roast!

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2021/12/03/Where-can-I-find-the-best-roast-dinner-in-the-UK

Sadly though, the days of 1/6 a pint have long gone, but that's 'progress'...

jezza

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 13:59 »
Hello the pub in the next village to me was facing closure and conversion,its now protected under a clause that it can never be closed or converted it becomes a community pub  owned by the villagers      jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 19:43 »
Our village (quite large & almost touching the next town in places) has at least 4 pubs & a Constitutional club that I can think of, but I think in the 16 years I’ve lived here I’ve only been in 2 of the pubs once or twice. I go in the club monthly for garden club meetings & committee meetings but as I normally only drink soda & lime I’m not going to help their profits anytime soon  :wacko:
Now as a teenager & young adult I contributed a lot more to their bank accounts  :nowink:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 08:26 »
Wonder how fashionable it is for young people to go to the pub now?

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 08:40 »
Our village (quite large & almost touching the next town in places) has at least 4 pubs & a Constitutional club that I can think of, but I think in the 16 years I’ve lived here I’ve only been in 2 of the pubs once or twice. I go in the club monthly for garden club meetings & committee meetings but as I normally only drink soda & lime I’m not going to help their profits anytime soon  :wacko:
Now as a teenager & young adult I contributed a lot more to their bank accounts  :nowink:

Actually, Snows, the pubs often make more profit from soft drinks than ales etc.!

Mind you, when you see the price of a bottle of gin in Tesco, then remember what they charge in a pub, you begin to wonder more than somewhat...

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 09:26 »
I feel I should update this. After being shuttered the skips arrived and the place was gutted. To my surprise though last week scaffolding went up and the entire pub is having a complete refurb  :ohmy: . The new signage has gone up this week, it's been painted "millennial" grey and looks to be rebranding away from "drinking" pub to an food based pub if you know what I mean. But it a social gathering place at least.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 12:16 »
I feel I should update this. After being shuttered the skips arrived and the place was gutted. To my surprise though last week scaffolding went up and the entire pub is having a complete refurb  :ohmy: . The new signage has gone up this week, it's been painted "millennial" grey and looks to be rebranding away from "drinking" pub to an food based pub if you know what I mean. But it a social gathering place at least.
Well if it is being painted grey, thats a definite update !!!!  My Dad used to say the only thing that should be painted grey is a battle-ship. :D    I think most pubs are now food based.   Our local landlord says there is no money to be made from just serving "wets" and food has to be the answer.    Good for some fishy meals.
I suppose, drink/drive was the beginning of the end for "wet" pubs, and a few guys going in for a couple of pints is not viable.  The price of a drink doesn;t help either.   But it will be nice for you to go out for a nosh sometimes.    :lol:
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 52 queries.