Calabrese not ready in over 1 year!

• 7 Replies

adrians

Calabrese not ready in over 1 year!
« on: September 24, 2010, 15:27 »
I'm growing some calabrese. It should have cropped towards the end of last summer. The plants where only perhaps 30cm high then and it didn't produce any brocolli last year. A grew them from seed, probably sown about May last year.

So, I thought. I'd leave them in for winter and see if I got some this year. I've now got 2 very large healthy looking plants (about 1m high) but no sign of brocolli. Since its the end of season its probably too late this year and I'll pull them out. But I can't bear to have wasted all that ground for over 1 year and seen no crop. Shall I keep waiting or give it up as a bad job? (due to the natural variability in Brassicas perhaps?)

I must admit I've never had much luck with Calabrese and do better with Purple sprouting.

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
Re: Calabrese not ready in over 1 year!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 15:29 »
not able to answer your question but if they where to give brocolli next year your going to have one huge crop if there over 1m

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 16:21 »
My first thoughts are the seed peeps have given you some dodgy seed, perhaps the machine put cabbage instead of calabrese, my calabrese (iron man) only grow to a height of about 12-18 inches high before sprouting.
How did you prepare the ground? Did you feed?
Def give these up, cant see them doing owt now and perhaps buy another packet of seed from a different company and try again.
My prep is as follows..
Dig ground over Nov, let it lie and Feb chuck cack on, leave a week or so then dig in, sow seeds and when ready to transplant dig a big hole, lime the inside and fill with rotted compost, transplant, firm in and water well and wait.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 22:05 »
Mine too were very late and have only just produced on some of the plants..  To avoid a total loss try eating the leaves; I have found them very similar to cabbage and quite like the taste.
John

veggieman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:18 »
I would also suggest eating the leaves. I have done so in the past and they were good to eat. Any greens are good for you so I would suggest that you do that and start again with fresh seed.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

adrians

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 15:35 »
Thanks for your advice. I suspect you are right, dodgy seeds. I was thinking the leaves looked cabbage like and worth a go. If they are good maybe I've found myself a perennial cut-and-come-again cabbage!

I could also cut it back (its too large now) and see how much it regrows to provide me leaves year-in year-out but I'm probably being a little optimistic, as Nine-star perennial brocolli only lasts few years.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 16:07 »
Sounds most odd to me  :wacko:

Do you have a picture of the ?calabrese? to show us ?

adrians

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48 »
Sorry. I don't have a picture (its too late now!). It isn't cabbage like in form though since the leaves are not curling in on each other but staying branching out more like kale or brocolli.

But I have eaten a few leaves now. They taste quite edible and cabbagey.

Most of the leaves are very large and tough so I've chopped them off leaving some younger leaves and more coming through. This has given me space to get broad beans growing in the bed and I will harvest some younger leaves over winter.

xx
Sweet peppers - will they be ready this year?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2017, 20:01
by mjg000
xx
Calabrese - what next?

Started by allotaveg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 13:05
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Calabrese

Started by p-robin-g on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 22:07
by kermit
xx
calabrese

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2019, 12:45
by I Love Spuds

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 38 queries.