Broccoli - Help please

• 4 Replies

cudders

• Experienced Member
Broccoli - Help please
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:23 »
Hi,

Growing my first broccoli and Calabrese. Looked at them last night and noticed some small heads on the Calabrese. One seems to have flowered and is open. I assume I should cut them when they are tight? The heads are only small so I assumed they would get mugh bigger.

On the sprouting Broccoli, I thought they wouldnt sprout this early? I thought I was growing them for winter!

Cudders

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Broccoli - Help please
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:28 »
i am growing them for the first time as well, along with cauliflower which has just started to form a small head on it, i am well cuffed though i have noticed its got a couple of little blackfly on it,

would soapy water be a good way of killing them? or should i just leave them be? as they dont seem to be doing much harm to the plant, unlike the poxy slugs that have desimated my brussel sprouts and a cucumber plant  :evil:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Broccoli - Help please
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 13:13 »
Looks like ur calabresse has bolted and gone to seed, the sprouting broccoli, which is it, some are summer and some are spring, if it is the spring then no it should not of sprung. might be to do with the very dry and now very wet conditions and they have got a little confused.
And the blackfly, squirt with water, I only use soapy water if they are in the millions, just zap them off every few days.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

cudders

• Experienced Member
Broccoli - Help please
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 22:41 »
Bolted..Oh dear.

How can i stop that with the other Calabrese? Once a head forms, does it increase in circumference? I assume they only have one head like caulis?

Cudders

gobs

Broccoli - Help please
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:02 »
Yes, but depending on variety and conditions, heads can be rather little as compared to your average cauli. Can bolt for a lot of reasons, sunny dry weather sends them flowering easily. Harvest, while heads are tight, whatever size that happens to be. Give a good soak and most will supply you with little sprouts for a long while after the main head is cut.

Your over-wintering ones also will have a central head to cut first, again, usually smallish, these should crop - variety - from Jan to May. I'd hazard the vague guess, you sowed these too early. A few varieties can be sown upto July, so I'd risk throwing a few seeds in now. :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Broccoli help

Started by Vikki H on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 10, 2011, 17:13
by mumofstig
clip
Broccoli

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2019, 11:35
by New shoot
xx
Something else at the broccoli.

Started by 8doubles on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 09:10
by 8doubles
xx
do I need to net broccoli ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 09:53
by DIGGER

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 39 queries.