Leek moth

• 2 Replies

Anton

Leek moth
« on: April 19, 2021, 11:34 »
Help please. I have just planted some leeks and as I know the leek moth lays  its eggs in March and April (first cycle), when should I give them a spray with a rhodedendrum-based insecticide, whose name escapes me. And how many times. In autum I think I spray them twice/three times!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Leek moth
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 18:31 »
I don’t know the insecticide you are referring to.  The only plant based one I am familiar with is pyrethrum, but I assume the same info would apply.  For contact insecticides like these, they don’t penetrate the plant so have to be applied regularly.  Rain washes them off.

I don’t know if pyrethrum or the insecticide you are using are effective against leaf moth tbh.  I rely on very fine insect barrier netting.

Anton

Re: Leek moth
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 20:32 »
Thanks for your reply. I found the box: Bio-Pyretrex.
 I tried the netting trick but despite me being extremely careful they vermin still managed to get in and ravage the crop. I was going to try some of those traps that imitate the odour of the female moth to attract the males but the fellow in the gardning shop recommended Bio-Pyretrex and this worked a treat. I think I applied it every second week in September and October but I am not sure I applied in in April (which was when I planted some last year).

xx
Leek moth

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 11:50
by bravemurphy
xx
leek moth

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 12:17
by corynsboy
xx
leek moth

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 12:02
by Kristen
xx
Leek moth

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 10:02
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 39 queries.