RIP Sam and Ella

• 6 Replies

CAL

RIP Sam and Ella
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:55 »
Through an unfortunate series of incidents and a thoughtless dog owner we lost both our chickens yesterday.

I lost two fence panels due to the the wind on Wednesday night and given it was still very windy yesterday morning and the fence post was broken could not put up them before work.  My wife came home to find a staffy puppy sitting in the run and one dead chicken and one injured one which died within an hour.  Neither were grossly injured but I'm guessing shock and getting knocked about a bit was enough.

Unfortunately the dog got away so we've no way of showing the thoughtless owner what damage they have caused by letting their dog run free (it did have a collar on).

It appears the dog has got into our garden had a couple of attempts at digging under the coop / run and couldn't as I have mounted in on thick boards so it has chewed its way through the wire and made a round hole to get in.  With it being a puppy it looks like it was small enough to get into both the coop and run so there was no cover anywhere.

We will get another two but I'm getting some weld mesh to make the run double skinned before we do anything else.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: RIP Sam and Ella
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:01 »
so sorry about your two chooks  :(.
We have just got a rescue dog (1 year old GSD) that we are having to train to leave the chickens alone as he too likes to chase and catch them  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:05 »
Sorry to hear about your loss its never nice to lose pets in that way.

Without knowing much about the local area but rather than it being a thoughtless dog owner who has let their puppy run free could the puppy have escaped in the same manner in which it was able to gain access to your property i.e. a broken fence?

CAL

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:16 »
In all fairness the puppy could have broken free accidently and I would like to think this is the case - but we also do have several free roaming dogs in the area whoose owners really don't care about them and it wouldn't surprise me if this was another one of them. 

Both of us really love dogs but can't have them because we wouldn't be able to give them enough time in the day and it really annoys us to see so many dogs that are just left to roam the streets.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:33 »
Must say i do feel exactly the same about dog owners who allow this, like i said dont know about your area but from where we are alot of the thoughtless owners seem too young to look after themselves nevermind a dog! but if you do bring in restrictions to dog ownership how do you police/enforce it? Thankfully for every unresponsible dog owner you do get I like to think there are 10 responsible owners.

little brown hen

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:11 »
That's a horrible homecoming - and to find the puppy sitting in the pen!   Im so sorry for your loss, you get fond of your chooks, especially sad when you only had two and they are both gone.

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 13:42 »
Really sorry to hear about you losing your girls  :(. Like you say there is a good chance the puppy could have broken free so lets hope it was that but it doesn't stop the fact that there are some thoughtless owners who just don't seem to care what their dogs get up to.

As both a dog owner (also a Staff who is really lovely & friendly dog though I must admit I wouldn't trust her with the hens) and hen owner I can really understand your frustrations.

Really glad though that this hasn't put you off keeping hens.
Helen

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 29 queries.