Newbie - Advice on chicken coop pleeease!

• 24 Replies

sirius951

Newbie - Advice on chicken coop pleeease!
« on: November 21, 2010, 13:01 »
Hi  - I am brand new to all this but taking into account the fact that a lot of suppliers are said to exaggerate how many chickens will comfortably live in a coop and also to take into account I may want to get more chucks in future (intend to start off with 3-4) I thought this coop on ebay looked pretty good.  :unsure:
Giant Delux Poultry House Coop 1.7m x 1.1m CC002H
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280590605898&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
We intend to raise it off the ground on a D.I.Y. timber frame so that nest boxes will be approx waist height and build our own covered run as the coops with integrated runs don't seem to give them much space and we want to have room to add interest inside the coop for the chickens.
I hope some of you won't mind taking the trouble to look and tell me what you think.
All advice more than welcome  :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 13:15 by sirius951 »

orchardlady

Re: Newbie - Advice on chicken coop pleeease!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 13:17 »
I've had a quick look at the listing on e bay and I think there might be a couple of questions that would be of use for you to ask the maker. Do the perches come out (they look like they do but it 's worth checking)? Also does the nest box compartment come off for ease of cleaning again they look like they should? If you raise your house on a timber frame just remember that any wood even pressure treated wood will rot if in contact with the damp of the ground. I put all my hen houses up on bricks or breeze blocks.

I cannot offer any opinion on runs as I keep all my chickens free range but remember more space is better than less and if possible try to be able to move the house and run onto clean fresh ground as the earth can become 'hen sick' or poisoned by their very strong poo, also parasites and mould can take hold.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280590605898#ht_2184wt_907

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 13:26 »
Hi Sirius951.   Welcome to the forum and the wacky world of henaholics  :).

I would agree with what Orchardlady says.  Also most people find that they want to increase their flock once they start so think about extra space outside if poss.

Hens need enough space to perch in the coop but if you but too few hens in a large house they find it harder to keep warm.  I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to tell you how much perching space to allow per hen.

Space also varies depending on whether you are keeping chickens or bantams.

We use an electric net fence which is easily moved from one piece of ground to another to give the girls fresh ground from time to time.

In the meantime good luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 13:28 »
this one matches the description of the one you bought:-

Item number: 280590605898

If you are making your own run (a wise decision in my opinion) then you have to remember that each bird needs at least 2 square meters of clear run space plus you need a dust bath area and space for feeders and drinkers. So for 4 chickens you need a run of at least 8 square meters plus room for the other things mentioned.

In the advert there are two conflicting measurements of the cladding - 1 says 12mm and the other says 10 mm, it also mentiones treating them so you can assume it isn't treated and I would advise you do so before you get any chickens. As orchard lady has said do the perches come out - ideal for treating the ends to prevent red mite and do the sides come off to ease cleaning.
Staffies are softer than you think.

sirius951

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 13:30 »
Ooooh thanks for your reply and advice. I can't believe I've got a response already! I will get right on to emailing the seller. The main reason I liked this one is that although it has no poop tray I thought that as the side and back are removable it would be easy to clean thoroughly so your suggested questions are spot on! I was thinking of a concrete paving slab under each leg of the stand. Or as you say another option might be to have it a little lower on breeze blocks. The main thing is to leave room for the chucks to get under there if they want to.I'm sure I'll have lots more questions later but I thought I'd sort the coop itself out first. I've got a long way to go before buying the chucks. So glad to have advice from real people as I find the books I've read contradict each other just enough to be confusing! Thanks again for your help! :D

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 13:45 »
Are you wanting the house raised for shelter? Be aware that rats love to tunnel under the nice dry earth so make sure you can move the house regularly. also it's fairly simple to make weather proof shelters that don't use the house.

sirius951

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 14:07 »
Not for shelter so much as maximum use of space as I want them to have as much space as I can possibly squeeze out of my back garden plus I thought raising it would give some protection from rats. Ugh! Well spotted by joyfull on the cladding! I never noticed that! I've sent enquiries re the perches, nest box and cladding so I will have to wait and see and will let you all know. It's surprising but most of the books I've read don't seem to say much on room required in the run so that's useful to know. I was thinking of a static run - another reason for making it as large as possible. Undecided whether to have a concrete base and give them lettuce etc or whether to put chippings or some such down so they can be replaced to keep it sweet. I have no grass as the area was previously used to grow veg but i have an allotment now so I thought I might realise a long term dream of getting chickens. (I blame The Good Life !)
Do you think this house is way too big? I was thinking 4 large hens (not bantams). I want something hardy (i.e. idiot proof) and a good layer - possibly black rock so far but I will look into that more when accomodation is sorted. It will be in a sheltered spot and I thought if it was way too huge I could put a hay bale or some such in to take up some space so less cold air - or is this a stupid idea?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 14:14 »
hens need to scratch so they would need more than concrete - perhaps cover this with a good depth of something. Dont use hay with chickens they would eat it and can get impacted crop.
Blackrocks are a good bird to get  :)

sirius951

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 14:18 »
Thank you.  :D I want something fairly disease resistant and weather hardy as the last couple of winters have been vile as you know and I don't want to spend all my time as a paranoid newbie wondering whether they are ok....any suggestions for even hardier birds that are decent layers if there are any are welcome!

sirius951

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 14:20 »
This is the reply from the ebay seller!
The cladding is 12mm at the thickest point and 10mm at the thinest, the perches do lift out, and the nest box can be taken off by removing four bolts. Should I go for it! :unsure:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 14:52 by sirius951 »

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 15:00 »
I have kept hens for a very long time and have found through trial and error that Forsham Cottage arks are pretty decent and certainly very sound hen houses. They have absolutely fantastic customer care and turn up when they say. I recently put one Forsham cottage ark on the bonfire as it was beyond repair and it was 8 -10 years old. Have a look at their web site. It is all down to how long you are prepared to allow before you hen house starts to decay and needs major repair.

sirius951

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 16:00 »
Forsham seem very expensive! I thought the ebay one seemed good value for money and it has just over 1 hour to go before it ends so I am seriously thinking about going for it as no one seems to have raised any objections to it. It just looks so easy to keep clean. I am still hovering over this forum though just in case someone gives me a good reason not to buy in the next hour or so! Very nervous as I want to do the right thing by my chickens although I have a limited budget (around £150) and it's such a big decision, but I've got to make up my mind sometime. So if anyone thinks it's rubbish now is the time to say before I do something I'll regret! Please do not worry about offending me buy saying I'd be an idiot for buying this if you think so as I'd be more of an idiot not to listen if you tell me so! Many thanks to all who have replied and offered advice thus far. It's invaluable to a newbie like me and puts my mind at rest as I know you lot know what you're talking about! Thank you so much!

orchardlady

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 16:12 »
Yes I do agree that the Forsham Arks are considerably more expensive, however they are very well made and lets say you spend £200 on one of their houses and it lasts you 8 years thats only £25 per year to house your hens whereas a much cheaper option now will probably have to be replaced much sooner.

You could also say if you buy a Rolex watch for £6000 today it will last you a life time but you can also buy a hell of a big amount of cheap watches for the same price.

You usually get what you pay for.

Good luck with your choices and let us know what you plump for. :)

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 16:42 »
Hi Sirius.  Like you I started out looking at houses around the £150 mark.  I ended up waiting an extra year and going for Smiths Sectional Buildings Thicket.  The price hurt (£630) but the hens are safe.

sirius951

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 16:46 »
Am looking at the Forsham website and am now totally confused. I'm probably being a bit thick but I can't see what makes them better as there aren't many photos and specs that I can see. There is a pic and a sort of plan thing if you click on more details but that's all I can find. Would be willing to wait and save if they really are that much better. I suppose something from the Bedgebury range would be within budget if I wait a while.....

xx
Newbie on here and chicken run advice please

Started by richinbish on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 22:05
by poultrygeist
xx
newbie chicken advice

Started by andyf75 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 08, 2013, 16:29
by ANHBUC
xx
chicken keeping newbie needs advice

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 20:29
by boosmummy
xx
Newbie looking at a coop/run....avoid ebay??

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 19, 2012, 10:58
by Prod

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 40 queries.