"We" have greenhouse cucumbers!

• 18 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: "We" have greenhouse cucumbers!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 08:38 »
Well done JayG here's to many more little cukes.  I have grown Marketmore this year along with carmen (I don't seem to have much trouble growing cukes ..... Blows on fingers)
Anyway the Marketmore have tougher skins and the carmen seem to be a bit bland so will be trying a different make next year.

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 15:36 »
... the carmen seem to be a bit bland so will be trying a different make next year.

I thought the carmen pretty much supermarket fodder too. Looked the business, thin skinned but do real taste. The Iznik mini-cukes seemed much better.

cadalot

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 16:28 »
I spotted two more little marketmores today, I'm hoping that there is enough good weather for them to reach a reasonable size. That makes 5 and I have picked one.

beesrus

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 14:34 »
Always nice to see continuing efforts being rewarded.  :D
Contrary to popular belief, even rotting cucumber stems can recover if you take drastic action immediately ... ie ... don't water anymore at all  anywhere near the stems.... If they're in pots, and mine always are, it's always a good idea to find a method of keeping the pots tipped at an angle, so any accidental over watering quickly drains to a hole you've made in the compost with your fingers. Future watering goes straight into that hole and roots under the surface all gravitate to that side of the pot. As I've always used a slightly peaty compost for cucumbers that can hold water too easily, this gravity thing of tipping the pot is the best answer I could come up with. I've saved many cukes on death's door in May this way, and they just go on to produce plenty of fruit with a damaged constricted knarled old exposed stem, almost akin to some sort of hydroponic thing. They really can be quite hardy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 14:42 by beesrus »

xx
"Hot Bed" in Greenhouse?

Started by angelavdavis on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 08:54
by compostqueen
xx
Peppers "corno del toro"

Started by brianbishop on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2013, 14:51
by brianbishop
xx
Cucumbers in a greenhouse

Started by mickmick on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 14:50
by seaside
xx
Greenhouse cucumbers

Started by Elm street on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 16:12
by gremlin

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 39 queries.