when to sow sweetcorn

• 16 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
when to sow sweetcorn
« on: March 02, 2009, 15:57 »
I notice some people have started to sow sweetcorn.

I take it that this must be for a greenhouse crop which leads me to ask

Can I sow now for an year crop in the polytunnel as I was thinking I'd have to wait until next month.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

RichardA

Re: when to sow sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 16:06 »
I would have thought sow end of April in a green house for planting outside at end of May or early June. I would not have thought sowing to grow on in a polytunnel or green house was viable as pollenation is very difficult in green houses and polytunnels, even so it  seems very early.
However I would be very interested in knowing if polytunnel growing of sweet corn is  a proven sucess as I have a new tunnel under construction now.
R

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 16:25 »
I would have thought sow end of April in a green house for planting outside at end of May or early June. I would not have thought sowing to grow on in a polytunnel or green house was viable as pollenation is very difficult in green houses and polytunnels, even so it  seems very early.
However I would be very interested in knowing if polytunnel growing of sweet corn is  a proven sucess as I have a new tunnel under construction now.
R

Yes you can, as I understand it you may have to help the pollenation alomg a bit. I contacted realseeds and they said yep the sweetcorn would grow in the polytunnel quite well. In that book gardening under plastic it suggests sowing one lot in April for the tunnel and another lot a bit later for outside. Not sure where abouts B Salt is in the UK to work out my dates.

DIGGER

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 16:29 »
I get all my crops started in the green house and aim to get them into the ground on or around 1st May. Sweetcorm germinate very quickl;y so i would look at  getting seed into pots approx 20th April.I will do courgettes at exactly the same time as they will go in the same part of the plot and they also germinate quick

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 16:35 »
I always sow sweetcorn at the end of April. I put them in the ground last week of May or first week of June. I cover them with plastic cloches made from mineral water bottles to give them a little protection when they first go outside.

Jazz:)
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 16:36 »
I get all my crops started in the green house and aim to get them into the ground on or around 1st May. Sweetcorm germinate very quickl;y so i would look at  getting seed into pots approx 20th April.I will do courgettes at exactly the same time as they will go in the same part of the plot and they also germinate quick

Digger is that to plant outside?

DIGGER

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 17:03 »

Digger is that to plant outside?

Pots in greenhouse 20th april
In ground outside early may

I seem to remember reading not to let them get to big before planting out in blocks.
The only problem i have is that i eat them before they get on my dinner plate.

I have never had a problem with them, i use Lark.

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 17:14 »
sorry to stray away from teh original question but I am told that if you grow two or more varieties that you must seperate them by big distances otherwise they cross polinate and neither variety does well.
Is that true and if so what distances are we talking about  as being enough?????????
R

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 17:16 »
sorry to stray away from teh original question but I am told that if you grow two or more varieties that you must seperate them by big distances otherwise they cross polinate and neither variety does well.
Is that true and if so what distances are we talking about  as being enough?????????
R

being on an allotment site there are always different varieties being grown and as yet I've not encountered a problem.

DIGGER

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 17:19 »
R

I dont know the answer to that ,i suspect there is not one. Sweetcorn is wind pollinated so i suppose its just a case of being sensible

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 18:38 »
Cross pollination will not affect the cobs produced on this years plant. They will be as on the packet.
If you let the cobs ripen and then plant the seed next year any cross pollination will throw variable types with characteristics of both parents.
The pollen cloud produced by sweet corn is very dense and unless plants are growing right next to each other cross pollination from other plants is very unlikely.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 19:45 »
I am just happy if my sweet corn gets fully pollinated. Anyone's pollen will do as long as it is not GM.

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 20:14 »
This is from the Veg Gardeners almanac

Sow in warmth in April/May in pots. Keep moving on to re-pot BEFORE the roots run out of room. Plant out in a soil that has been warmed up (a cloche is ok) and keep well watered. Several plants need to be producing pollen at the same time and in close proximity to get evenly filled out kernals. Planting batches of successional crops crops in blocks helps this. When the silky tassles turn brown have a peek to see if the kernals are full and yellow. Pick and eat quick!

Also Note : Supersweet varieties should not be grown near other types to avoid cross pollination which can cause a reduction in quality and flavour this also goes for minipop and other varieties i planted the mini sweetcorn with others many years ago and got cobs half normal and half mini
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 20:16 »
This is from the Veg Gardeners almanac

Sow in warmth in April/May in pots. Keep moving on to re-pot BEFORE the roots run out of room. Plant out in a soil that has been warmed up (a cloche is ok) and keep well watered. Several plants need to be producing pollen at the same time and in close proximity to get evenly filled out kernals. Planting batches of successional crops crops in blocks helps this. When the silky tassles turn brown have a peek to see if the kernals are full and yellow. Pick and eat quick!

Also Note : Supersweet varieties should not be grown near other types to avoid cross pollination which can cause a reduction in quality and flavour this also goes for minipop and other varieties i planted the mini sweetcorn with others many years ago and got cobs half normal and half mini

As for Growing in Polytunnels yes you can but you may need to aid pollination

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 21:48 »
To aid pollination in a poly tunnel or a site without much breeze, it has been said that you should give the plants a gentle shake when the tassles have formed.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

xx
First go at sweetcorn, help!

Started by skewball on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 19:33
by lesley1322
xx
sweetcorn help

Started by dizzylizzie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 11:53
by dizzylizzie
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by thatruddyvicar on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 17:57
by Thephoenix572
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 12:05
by Riala

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 35 queries.