Very low light levels this year!

• 24 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Very low light levels this year!
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:14 »
It's not just me suffering this year :(

My chillies are leaning towards the windows despite having an ali foil reflector  :ohmy:

I really don't think it's worth sowing anything else inside until it brightens up a bit.
I'm really fed up with it now, but keep telling myself that it will get better.............soon 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Very low light levels this year!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:21 »
It is very grey isn't it  :(  Supposed to be a lot better tomorrow but then rain again Friday for the south east.

Can't get on the plot - way too wet and have not started on the inside stuff yet because I think its too dark on the windowsill for much  ::)

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:37 »
I agree with you mum, We grow in sheltered raised beds which make the ground slightly warmer than those in exposed areas but  I'm holding back on sowing to.

We have succumbed to sowing some early short carrots in a couple of troughs and some tomatoes for the greenhouse, oh and parsnips under fleece.

Different areas have different circumstances, sometimes I think people take sowing guidelines on seed packets far to literally. Packet says sow from Feb to June so 1st Feb the seeds go in (bit of an extreme example but you get my drift).

Like you we are itching to get on with things but sometimes we just cant compete with nature.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:47 »
A pretty map and graph showing UK light levels HERE!

As you can see from the graph the total light received (per day) in April is 3 times the February figure. Taking into account the further loss of light through glass it's easy to see why we are struggling with indoor plants in this cloudy weather.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:56 »

As you can see from the graph the total light received (per day) in April is 3 times the February figure. Taking into account the further loss of light through glass it's easy to see why we are struggling with indoor plants in this cloudy weather.

My that is pretty, and I'm pretty glad I'm not in Edinburgh.
 Doesnt Devon & Cornwall look an inviting colour on the main map

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:02 »

Even hanging on just from February to March nearly doubles it and conversley being early in January halves it .
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15 »

and, in this part of the UK at least, we must be way down on the average this year!

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:20 »
I think its been a duller start to the year too. Normally I have my peppers in by now but I've not bothered this year. We don't seem to have had many cold crisp Jan/Feb days its all just been dull, grey and November like.

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49 »
tell me about it i have no chance of making a fortune as an outdoor cannabis farm  :ohmy:..Its so dull , it realy is doing my heard in , i just hope we get a good summer joking aside. Ive got all my seeds and my young plants ordered .

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 13:49 »
The meridian weather forecaster said we only had 40% sunshine in January, which was below average, and seems to be the same this month, grey, grey, grey. My tomatoes are holding up well, I move them all around the house during the day!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 14:53 »
Not sure how scientific it is, but my Solar Panels record how many kWh they capture. (I say not scientific because they need X amount of sun just to get going, so it might be they are on the brink of starting some days, but don't quite make it). This year, so far, looks gloomy compared to last year

Month20102011
Jan11750
Feb18788 (to 23rd)
Mar551
Jun1324

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 15:11 »
Kristen
Since your 2010 figures would have  required the same parameters as your 2011 figures I would suggest  your comparative figures are as 'scientific' as any .

But are they recording Kwh of light  or of heat, I dont have solar panels so genuinely dont know.

Whatever they are recording  it's well down on last year.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 15:24 »
But are they recording Kwh of light  or of heat

"heat" - they are solar panels for heating water - hence there is quite a bit they have to do on a given day before they can "start recording"; well down on last year as you say :(

plum crumble

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 15:25 »
WELLLL no wonder grumpy OH is even more grumpy than normal  :nowink: He definitely is affected by lack of sunlight - well we all are, but there are those particularly susceptible

small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 15:26 »
A kilowatt hour is a unit of energy equivalent to 1000 watts being consumed (or produced!) for 1 hour.

Doesn't make any difference whether this is used to produce heat, light or mechanical energy, the appliance has still used 1 kwH.

xx
NPK levels

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 22:59
by Robster
xx
Ph levels

Started by captainhastings on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2013, 21:56
by solway cropper
xx
New veg plot and ph levels

Started by DavidP on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 19:03
by DavidP
xx
Garlic and PH levels

Started by pol and mick on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 17:53
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 36 queries.