100 days it cant last much longer

• 60 Replies

rem858

100 days it cant last much longer
« on: July 09, 2010, 22:06 »
 we have now had 100 days without any rain whatsover in my part of suffolk the lotty is like a dustbowl !!!!! sooner or later we must get some rain. i have watered at least twice a day despite this i have had the best crop of shallots and onions for years
cues and toms are doing great in the poly so all is not lost i dont think carrots and beetroot etc will amount to much though 'this year
anybody else had a decent crop despite the drought ?

solway cropper

Re: 100 days it cant last much longer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 22:41 »
Everything in my garden is flourishing but potato yields are down. A few things have bolted but overall it's looking good after the disastrous start to the year with the late frosts.

Nature seems to have a way of balancing things out.

Just let the dog out and it's chucking it down.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 23:27 »
Dustbowl here as well :( But thank goodness we are allowed to use hosepipes on our site, so most things are coping with a good soaking now and again.

My early spuds were lifted before the worst of the heat, and were not bad, but the 2nds have been poor :( Hope we get some rain before the maincrops start dying off  :unsure:

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 23:39 »
Hoses allowed here in 'septionally sunny sussex but I only use mine to top up empty water-butts, baths and barrels.

I prefer to water with a can once the water has warmed up a bit. Imagine the shock - there you are sat sitting all day in the sun and along comes a huge squirt then, next thing you know, you're drowned in freezing water from a hose!  :tongue2:

Water wisely and economically.. I have (as usual) made small banks all around plants and either side of rows of plants that need watering so I can spot water without the water trailing away across empty ground. Some people find flower pots or up-turned cut off drinks bottles help get water to the spots where it's most needed.

For rows of plants I have raised furrows and water from the highest end letting the water flow down the channel in the middle.

It helps to starve the weed seeds of moisture and reduces the need to weed. The precious water has a chance to sink in exactly where it’s needed.  :happy: :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 23:51 »
Oh I make sure that I only water the rows and not the weeds :nowink:

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 23:58 »
Sheesh, its a different world down with you guys  :nowink:  Those weeks in May when I was watering every night feel like a long, long time ago now  ::)  I get the feeling everything in my patch is just waiting for a decent warm spell to get going again (beans, courgettes, squash, carrots).

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 23:59 »
Oh I make sure that I only water the rows and not the weeds :nowink:

You mean you don't have your weeds lined up in rows?  :ohmy:  ::)  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 00:02 »
Sheesh, its a different world down with you guys  :nowink:  Those weeks in May when I was watering every night feel like a long, long time ago now  ::)  I get the feeling everything in my patch is just waiting for a decent warm spell to get going again (beans, courgettes, squash, carrots).

It is a tad warm and dry down here... How you can cope with a much shorter growing season I don't know. It'd be over before I found the seed packets!!  :blink:  :mellow:

Redgoat

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 04:38 »
Tuesday is looking like a downpour for most parts.

kari

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 07:36 »
I think i've had my allotment for 5wks now & its been the driest 5 wks ever, because I was late starting the growing year, i've been trying to catch up & get somethingin the ground, but any seeds i've sown direct have failed, i've tried growing them in modules at home &they do great, but then wither when I put them in the ground on the allotment.

We have no water supply, so I barrow 2 x 25ltr water bottles twice everyday & it has become a struggle to keep things alive up there, I have my fingers crossed for rain this week.

New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 08:13 »
We had the wettest winter/spring  on record, so the plants that like rain got a good start.  My peas did not appreciate the rain- hence not even enough for 1 meal :mad:
We are well into summer here now, luckily we have a small well and the veg garden gets a watering with that.  I just hope it lasts the watering season  and we don´t have to resort to pay- as- we- use  metered water.
Hope you get the needed rain (overnight of course) soon.
Pamela

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:36 »
Its baking here in Hereford, the plot is like a dustbowl, were due very heavy rain tuesday and wednesday apparantly.......our dance worked a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:59 »
Learner,

I love how you are worried about your plants getting chilly from a soaking! I thought about that in my GH, but have never bothered about the plot.   :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 10:23 »
So very dry here and we are on sandy soil so no moisture retention. Still we have had a good year so far and only the spinach beet has bolted. We did use the hose a fair bit but that is now banned so its down to watering the tubs and greenhouses by can and John has rigged a hose to the shower outlet to water the potato plot (difficult with a downstairs bathroom as there is no fall)

Weather is crazy our friends in Bulgaria, which at this time is usually scorching, are practically flooded out. Yesterday they had their lights on all day and had to light the woodburner it was so cold.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 14:20 »

It is a tad warm and dry down here... How you can cope with a much shorter growing season I don't know. It'd be over before I found the seed packets!!  :blink:  :mellow:

I havent noticed too much difference in growing season from what I gather, but Ive only been doing this 2 years now.  However, the weather is another story.  I guess you just have to be selective what to grow - for example, this is the last year I even try squash, zero fruit in 2 years  :lol: 

Of course, the scenery and peace & quiet kind of makes up for the wet, IMO.  Each year I comment how green everything is, but this year is just amazing - must have been the heatwave followed by this wet cool spell we have had.

Some people think Scotlands biggest resource over the next century will be water, and I tend to agree.  Watch out for water tankers heading to SE England, Spain etc  :wacko:

xx
Can't fight it any longer!!!

Started by lmpd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:42
by yorkiegal
xx
i wish i could dig for longer than 1 hour.

Started by twysted1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2006, 19:02
by John
xx
Growing longer leeks

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 08, 2015, 19:39
by Annen
xx
My new pots (I cannot wait any longer !!!!)

Started by Gareth J on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 19:41
by Gareth J

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 34 queries.