Time for a 2nd plot?

• 19 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Time for a 2nd plot?
« on: March 05, 2019, 22:55 »
We took on a 6 rod weed-ridden, rubbish-strewn plot with a mountain at one end last May as our 1st family allotment and it's been a huge success and changed our lives. Now we have it all levelled and prepared, seeds sown in the polytunnel we built, and look forward to the coming growing year.

However, as usual, my mind is wandering towards the next project and I'm pretty keen on taking another plot on but before I put my name down I'm pausing and thinking... am I nuts?

My wife and I work full time and have two young children, so weve managed to get down most weekends and the odd day here and there, but despite this we've got a heck of a lot done and really enjoy our days down the allotment with the boys. The plan for the 2nd plot woyld be to go at a much slower pace, perhaps having a go at the no-dig concept and really take our time with it. Fruit bushes and dwarf trees would be the crops as we have no space for any of these currently on our plot, we're 100% veg atm.

So do I have a relatively laid back year of enjoying the allotment we have or take the plunge and expand? It's a tough one...

snowdrops

Re: Time for a 2nd plot?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 23:30 »
Depends if there is a waiting list I suppose, if there is you could put your name down, nothing to say you will get 1 this year or even  next. Also do you know that there are some vacant or about to be vacant plots? Or is there a particular plot that is available that you would really like. Plus I suppose it depends what the rules are about getting on with cultivating, some sites set goals for how much must be cultivated by a certain time.
The last thing you want to do is find it becomes a chore.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:56 »
The waiting list is supposed to be 9 months to a year but we got the call 4 or 5 months after putting our name down and then were offered a choice of 8, but the waiting list isn't too much of an issue now we have a fully operational plot anyway. There's over 450 plots on our site so they're always turning over. Would be nice to get one on our row, but a short walk would be ok.

The rules state 25% must be 'worked' within 6 months, 50% in 12 months and 100% in two years. Even at a snails pace that is ultimately achievable given ours was fully cleared and dug within probably 8 months.

Decisions decisions...

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:31 »
Ooh, I can really see the temptation here! The cautious bit in me would say perhaps it would be sensible to have a full year of allotment growing to see how it goes, before taking on any more. In this scenario you could put your project enthusiasm into other projects.... How about a Munty frame, making a willow arch/den for the children or converting your allotment to no dig so that next year you have even more time for another allotment ?

The other bit of me says go for it!! I’m on my second year on what was a very weedy 10 pole allotment and just putting raised beds in, filling with manure and compost to do no dig. I know that 6 poles wouldn’t be enough for us, not because we really need the space for more veg (there’s only 2 of us) but because of the pleasure of doing stuff! We also want to put in plenty of fruit bushes and probably cordon fruit trees. So cautious approach or go for it?

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 07:51 »
I tend to be a cautious sort of person so I would see how next year goes with what you’ve got. I would worry that taking on another plot would turn the whole activity into a chore and you would lose your enthusiasm. Good luck with whatever you decide.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 09:35 »
If 'twere me, I'd put my name on the list and if you are offered a plot, explain you'd like something very close to your existing one, but would be happy to wait. Gives you a chance to see how much work your first plot will be over the course of the year too. If there is always a regular turn over bide your time so your second plot is really close to the first, as tbh folk on our site who have divided space like this always wish they were close together. Mine are next door to each other and it makes things much more manageable than if they were not

Good luck whatever you decide  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 09:57 »
Funnily enough, a willow den for the kids is on the cards, waiting for weather to improve so we can all do it together.

Waiting for one to come up on our row sounds sensible, there are a couple that were taken at the back end of last year but progress seems to have ceased so we'll see.

Next door plots would be great but my neighbours and those opposite are long-termers so unlikely to come up in the foreseeable future.

I just love the planning side of things me, always have to have a project on the go!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 11:25 »
I have two bits which add up to a whole plot on our site.  The smaller part is mostly fruit and is not that much work, so that could be a good plan.  You need to prune and tidy over the winter and I put a lot of mulches down.  I also use flowers like nasturtiums to smother weeds, attract pollinators and look pretty  :)

You need to think about building a fruit cage for currants, gooseberries and strawberries.  I find the birds leave autumn raspberries and hybrid berries alone.  I use posts and wires, but some of my plot neighbours have built frames with wooden rails along the top and inadvertently given the pigeons somewhere to perch and help themselves.

When you go home laden with tubs of fruit over the summer and then see the price of a teeny little punnet of raspberries in the shops, it is a good feeling  :)

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 13:19 »
I have two bits which add up to a whole plot on our site.  The smaller part is mostly fruit and is not that much work, so that could be a good plan.  You need to prune and tidy over the winter and I put a lot of mulches down.  I also use flowers like nasturtiums to smother weeds, attract pollinators and look pretty  :)

You need to think about building a fruit cage for currants, gooseberries and strawberries.  I find the birds leave autumn raspberries and hybrid berries alone.  I use posts and wires, but some of my plot neighbours have built frames with wooden rails along the top and inadvertently given the pigeons somewhere to perch and help themselves.

When you go home laden with tubs of fruit over the summer and then see the price of a teeny little punnet of raspberries in the shops, it is a good feeling  :)

Yeah definately, our boys love their fruit, it would be a free for all if we we had a plot full of the stuff!

On our site the bird prevention measures range from CDs on sticks to vast walk in cages with metal mesh boxing everything in. I haven't given much thought as to how I'd do it but no doubt knowledgeable peeps on here would have some solid suggestions!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 14:04 »
My first impression would be to see how your veg plot goes this year because even thought you've done a lot of initial work, there'll be lots more to do later on. Thinking about your fruit bushes and trees area, if you could get another plot that reasonably in a good state why not make a proper old-fashioned orchard that's laid to grass but has a little barrier made of wood, stone etc to stop the grass encroaching on the plants. You could also have a little "wild" area with snowdrops, crocuses, primroses, red poppies, blue cornflowers, yellow calendulas, and Spring and Autumn cyclamen; all of which will give an added all-year-round display.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 07:55 »
Having just handed back my 2nd plot I feel a little bit of caution would be wise. Although I initially started well with my 2nd plot I found that keeping on top of both of them from a watering / weeding perspective was a lot of work. In the end both of my plots ended up suffering as I had to split the time between then and could never seem to finish all of the jobs without cutting corners. If you have a lot of helpers to do all of that then do it but if not I would enjoy your current plot for a year before making a decision.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 09:08 »
At the risk of being labelled a zealot, have a thought for no dig. I’ve got 2 half plots side by side & went fully no dig last year, after 30 plus years of growing veg, so I consider myself with a modicum of experience. What a revelation, the weeds were almost non existent, even my  horsetail/marestail seemed to slow down. A quick hoe round each bed once a week was so much easier & less weeding gave me more time to do other things. I watered less than others on our site but didn’t seem to suffer less crops in all that hot weather.
One of the arguments against it is the amount of mulch you need & the effort to make it, but that satisfies my digging urges 😂 . Last year I must have made 6 cubic metres of compost, yes I have 5 large compost bins & I did a Berkeley hot compost heap on the ground too.
Others argue against it as it can be done direct on well strummed over grown plots or weed free plots. Mine was relatively weed free as I’ve had them for 12 years or so, but I still used to get overrun with weeds at certain times as I just never had enough time. We shall see what this 2nd year brings to me but to the naresayers, don’t knock it til you’ve tried it.
Oh & your crops grow better because there’s lots going on underground that you can’t see, fungi’s etc, think of Avatar the movie & how the tree of life is connected to everything that is living.
Ok I’ll get off my soap box now as it’s getting a bit chilly 😂

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 12:27 »
I probably would.
A 6 rod is a half plot.
I took on a full plot and I don't think a half plot would be big enough for me.

A full plot means I can rotate more efficiently, have more area for permanent crops like soft fruit.
It also gives me a bit more flexibility in  furniture and areas for burning.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 21:32 »
Just started on my second plot today.  I have already said I will reassess after a year, but I have plans for a small polytunnel and a cut flower bed, luckily it was worked on until last year and is partly covered so not too overgrown.  It's not next to mine so has a different aspect but it's a minute walk way so not far ;)[img]. I work full time too and have only the weekends and evenings, it just takes abit of planning and commitment to do an allotment or two.  All the best and happy gardening what ever you decide
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 08:01 »
We started a half plot (again) nine years ago, and it really was a dump! It took ages to clean up, but with the first sowings, came the wandering eye, and an even worse full plot next door became a reality, even though it was in a dreadful condition!

Once that was done after several months, we thought we had enough, and then gave up the small plot, but only last year, we thought we'd try another half-plot, which was the worst of the lot in the whole village - and we knew the history of it...

Upshot?

Decided not to take the new half-plot- it really was a nightmare for two late-middle-aged gentlefolk and as we'd met some keen younger members who were desperate to start, we gave them a share of our own full plot, and have now given up the whole lot to them!

Now, work out the thought process on all that...

I just want to concentrate on small schemes in our packed garden at home, which really was getting neglected, and the mini-projects are now taking up all my time, plus some!

So my answer to your question, is 1) yes, 2) maybe, 3) possibly, 4) no, 5) you're joking, 6) goferit...

;0)

xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
Best time of year for sorting out a plot?

Started by MrsR on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 21:20
by WG.
xx
Digging the plot this time of year

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 15:09
by sion01
xx
Just taken new 1/4 plot - what to grow at this time of the year and other tips

Started by BigA on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 21:28
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 53 queries.