sheep manure

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

sheep manure
« on: February 18, 2019, 09:44 »
 I've been offered some sheep poo but that's something I've never used before as a general manure because I was under the impression it was very rich in nitrogen although I have used sheep poo in the past in a drum watered down for my tomatoes?

so I was thinking what could I use it on my raised beds or stack it in a heap or mix it with my horse manure so any advise would be most welcome

Goosegirl

Re: sheep manure
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 13:39 »
We used to have sheep and I picked their poo up and put it in a sack which was suspended in a bucket of water. Any poo will be rich in nitrogen so perhaps combine it with shreddings of straw, paper, leaves, lawn clippings or whatever will use it to begin the process of decomposition. How you use it depends on what your soil needs are at the moment. If it's in a good state then pile it up in a heap and cover with a tarpaulin or similar to keep the rain from leaching it out and will also provide heat to accelerate the process.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 20:09 »
is it straight sheep poo or is it mixed with straw from a shed?
mixed with straw treat like any other manure.
if the person has just offered sheep poo they must have been very busy collecting as the volume is no where as great as horse or cow.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 08:38 »
Manure is manure in my opinion so d just accept it gratefully & compost it until it’s well rotted either mixed in the compost bin to activate the contents or with your cow manure. As I’m sure you know if you turn it regularly it will speed up the process & by the autumn will be ready to mulch wherever you need it
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 16:42 »
 yep my friends going to take a load to the allotments and I intend to stack it because some hasn't broken down yet  as some of its coming out of the lambing shed together with  some well rotted so as I said its going to be in a stack

thinking about building another raised hot bed given the time but not quite sure what would be the best veg to grow on a hot bed me thinks I need a bit more advise on hot beds  :unsure:

jezza

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 21:11 »
hi if you are building a hot bed try melons the college I was at use to have a green house with a hot bed down the side the green house was 60 x20 with a hot bed 60feet long 8feet wide and 6 feet deep the bed was filled 18 inches deep with horse manure then pipes laid on top into the greenhouse then the bed filled to the top with mixed manure then sheeted down for a week when the pipes felt tepid warm  and the manure dropped down more manure was added when it stopped dropping the bed was topped with soil melons planted and glass frames placed over the top melons in winter what a luxury    jezza

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:06 »
thanks all for your replies hot bed sounds good :D

xx
sheep manure

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2007, 19:41
by muntjac
xx
Sheep Manure Pellets

Started by Ayeweedin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 22:47
by peapod
xx
I think I have become a sheep

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 20:50
by Becci W
xx
sheep poo

Started by adal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 09, 2010, 17:41
by Trillium

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 40 queries.