i wish i could dig for longer than 1 hour.

• 16 Replies

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
« on: March 21, 2006, 14:30 »
i have just got back from my plot and i'm knackered. i had major spinal surgery 2 years ago( laminectomy, diskectomy and foramenotomy) which went as well as it could and i can now walk ok after four years of being bed bound, although i am always in a good deal of pain. one of the reasons for getting a plot is so i can build up my strength and stamina but it is hard going even with my lovely light crumbly soil.  it is a 2 mile round trip(walking) and i dig for an hour but i need to lie down for about 3 hours to recover, but already after just a few times on my plot i can feel a positive difference in my strength, today i dug one more row than i did last time and tomorrow i shall do more again. another positive thing is the effect it has on my mood, things don't seem so gloomy after i have had a dig and i dont have the time to dwell on bad stuff when i'm planning what to start next, it is even having a possitive effect on my relationship with my girl friend as i am happier and have something new to talk about other than what was on daytime tv. for the first time in years i can actually say i'm happy. Yay for allotments and the hard work it obviously requires and if i feel this good now i am going to be ecstatic when i'm preparing a meal with my own vegetables.

twysted1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 15:58 »
sorry i should probably have put this in the off topic forum.

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 21:06 »
Good for you. Probably the best advice is what you already know and are doing. Slow and steady...dont do too much at once and certainly dont do so much that you cant do it the next day.
What about splitting the time at the allotment alternating digging with other less strenuous jobs.
I like you have just started with my allotment and its in pretty good condition however it needs a bit of digging and prepartion before I start planting. So what I do as I'm not that fit is a few rows of digging followed by a cup of tea! and then potter around the shed for a bit etc etc. That way I can pace myself and ultimately get more done.
The allotment is a fabulous place to feel good, I think its the combination of physical exercise and fresh air, it always gives you the feel good factor.

Take care and most of all enjoy it!
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 22:13 »
My tip - get one of those cheapo fold up chairs or old plastic patio chairs. Then you can have a sit down.  I was given a wooden bench seat by another plotholder - and I'm not afraid to use it.

My problem is that I have a sedentary occupation and find exercise boring. I don't do boring, but I do do digging.

Anyway, me 'ats off to yas, Twysted.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 23:34 »
Quote from: "john"

My problem is that I have a sedentary occupation and find exercise boring. I don't do boring, but I do do digging.

Wash your mouth with soap :lol:   :lol:  :lol:

How on earth can being in the fresh air, at one with nature be BORING?

It really lifts the spirits - you must be doing something wrong my man :roll:
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 00:41 »
I meant that I find the idea of jogging or gym incredibly tedious but I enjoy digging etc on the lottie. I do do digging  :)

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 08:12 »
You enjpy digging - great - how does 330 feet by 33 feet grab you.  You'd be ecstatic my man   :lol:  :lol:

Lovely bright day today - sunny, frosty, dry, great day to be muck spreading up the allotment, but I have to bake cakes and bread and goodies as all the family are coming tomorrow for the weekend.  Will just squeeze in sowing a few more seeds I think.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 09:53 »
Quote from: "kooringa"
You enjpy digging - great - how does 330 feet by 33 feet grab you.  You'd be ecstatic my man   :lol:  :lol:

Of course I would be - great excuse to buy a tractor!

That's a pretty huge plot you've got there

shaun

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 22:34 »
i suffer a bit with my back after digging so i use a extra long spade/fork as i'm 6'4" and it works a treat as your using more upper body strength and not bending over as much
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 23:21 »
Correct spade and fork handle length makes a big difference. Incidentally, you can get special spades with a spring or something I think that makes it easier.

Also, a lighter tool is less work.

I'm sitting here aching after today on the plot - but it's a 'good ache' if that makes sense.

twysted1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 13:34 »
i have found the best way for me to dig is to break the soil with a fork into clods, then do all the breaking up with a three pronged hoe/cultivator. that way there is minimal bending and most of the work is upper body. i had such a good session yesterday i got into my first trouble over the plot by being an hour late for my dinner. i got 2 beds ready for planting and just have a little more to do today to get another 2 ready before the forecast rain this week. hopefully in the next week or so the rest of my plot should be rotavated for me. Once this is done i am going to cover half of it as i only intend to plant half the plot this year to get into the swing of things.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 17:56 »
If you have space to spare, consider growing a lot of potatoes - they're very little work really.

Another productive cover crop is broad beans - loads of compost material, legumes so they add nitrogen and my favourite veg :)

Agricultural mustard as a green maure isn't too much work either. But you know what you're up to doing. I've just got back after 5 hours and I'm a little tired. Like I can just about type, tired.

Novice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 19:40 »
Blimey Twisted1, I'm impressed with your PMA after major back surgery - go for it mate, you put me to shame for complaining about a few minor aches after I do a bit of digging. Good luck with the plot.

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 13:05 »
Quote from: "john"
Correct spade and fork handle length makes a big difference. Incidentally, you can get special spades with a spring or something I think that makes it easier.

Also, a lighter tool is less work.

I'm sitting here aching after today on the plot - but it's a 'good ache' if that makes sense.

bad back sufferer myself, so i tend to use extra long handles. i think the spade and fork "with a spring" were made by wolf tools. they worked very well, or so im told. years ago i used to sell them when working in a garden centre. i seem to remember them being quite expensive.
oh yes, very rude of me, hello all, im very happy to have joined the forum. :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 13:31 »
Hi gwiz and welcome

Wolf don't seem to be doing the spades anymore - sad

Just done a bit of a search but I can't find them by anyone else either.

xx
we have gained a hour

Started by gardening robbo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 09:35
by mixdiver
xx
Extra hour's gardening!

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 22:55
by Elcie
xx
Can't fight it any longer!!!

Started by lmpd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:42
by yorkiegal
xx
100 days it cant last much longer

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

60 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 07:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 38 queries.