How much light gets through fleece?

• 4 Replies

polly nator

• Experienced Member
How much light gets through fleece?
« on: August 31, 2013, 16:48 »
I am asking about this as I rather foolishly didnt plan out our pumpkin patches properly. We have two quite big and two very big pumpkins about 1 -2 metres from a path - and the allotment we are using is right next to the gate.   I am beginning to feel anxious about possible thefts which would be heartbreaking for my little grandson and and I considered putting some fleece over them in the hope that dishonest people wouldnt recognise pumpkin leaves. They were earlier properly shaded but I have removed the shading ready for ripening. I thought that anyone giving the plot a quick glance might not guess what was there.

Idiotically I have the Sweet Dumplings well hidden at the far end.  So    ... how much light would the fleece let through - enough for ripening?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: How much light gets through fleece?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 17:10 »
The fleece sounds a good idea and would let a fair bit of light through, although if you have debris netting though it does let in a bit more.

Once the fruits begin to change colour you can take them home and let the skins ripen fully and 'cure' in the sunshine in the safety of your own garden  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 18:16 »
Yes, Sunshineband, its getting the balance right between leaving them on the vines as long as possible but getting them out of harm's way before its too late!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 19:48 »
When you do harvest them I've heard it is worth taking a generous "T" of vine-stem with each fruit.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 20:37 »
Anything ripens under fleece in my opinion, you should not worry about this side of the matter.

You need to thin the fruit though with most. They are not able to ripen more than a couple of fruit in the best of our summers even.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Netting, fleece, and light?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2008, 20:01
by woodburner
xx
Fleece

Started by Belvoir on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 16:10
by DD.
xx
Fleece??

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 21:46
by Martin
xx
Fleece

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 12:28
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.