new start

• 8 Replies

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
new start
« on: April 03, 2021, 09:21 »
hello everyone
i know it been a long time since i have been on with il health lockdown and the death of my mother the past few years have been hard. i have lost my allotments but now have i large back yard that is bigger then my allotments. there are a good few trees in it apple ,pear, nut trees and fruit bushes i do have places that i can grow veg in but wonder if i should just dig  small veg patches or go raised bed way . i also have 7 chicken at the bottom of the garden i was planning to use the bedding as soiling improver any comment's would be useful as would any advice where to get some cheap veg seed my local garden centre close down  and on line seem to cost a lot yours big green bloke
remember plants can't read books

Christine

Re: new start
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:31 »
Personally I'd go the raised bed way if you have a lot of trees. Gives you more root room for vegetables. Fruit is expensive so take good care of the trees and fruit bushes. These will pay you back with care and attention given.

Good seeds do come expensive unfortunately. Unless you can find Premier Seeds on line you will be paying out but that's a good firm. The only place I try for seeds off line is at Wilko (Wilkinsons) as most of the other places have been rubbish with a very low germination rate.

Good luck.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:31 »
2nd vote for premier seeds and raised beds good luck [try looking up charles dowding you might find it interesting]  we mix chicken manure into compost bins.
from bow like to grow

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 11:33 »
Sorry you've had a tough period recently. Hopefully your new project will be part of the healing process.

I'm another fan of premier seeds direct: https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/  Don't expect fancy packaging but their website gives you the sowing instructions.

DT Brown have free P&P this weekend (code is D21EASTER) and a selection of 99p seeds.

Seeds have gone up a lot in price over the past year unfortunately but remember that pretty much everything except for parsnip are fine to use for several years. 

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 20:03 »
Welcome back & my condolences on the death of your mother, a tough time indeed for you. Hopefully getting back to growing things & gardening will provide you with some solace. Are you able to get to Doncaster? Near the marketplace there was a gardening shop called Plevey’s I think it was called, my dad got his seeds there or there were a few garden centres nearby one was Walkers, not that the cafe will be open but that was a nice lunch spot.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 12:51 »
Welcome back. It is amazing how much you can grow in raised beds and containers in your garden. I had the chance of an allotment but chose to develop my garden instead. It is so much easier to care for. I can pop out and do as much or little as I want without making journeys to an allotment (an absolute boon during lockdown!) I also love the fact that I or my husband can just go out of the back door and harvest what we need for lunch or supper.

I have 4 raised beds and also grow potatoes and PSB in large bags. Getting set up is a bit expensive but if you can afford it the pleasure of growing and eating your own food as you know is immeasurable. The other advantage of raised beds is that you can buy or make covers to protect your crops from birds and cabbage whites and chickens!

If you go along the raised bed route have you thought how you are going to fill them? We have built 3 large compost bins (one hot) which supply us with all we need to fill the beds and containers. The 20 bags of potatoes get filled with compost first. Once they have finished they get planted with PSB. Once the PSB is over I have lots of great compost to mulch the garden in spring and I start all over again with new compost from the bins :D

I top up the raised beds and fertilize them according to what I intend to grow but only change the compost if my brassica rotation plan has gone amiss  ::)

Enjoy your new project  :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 13:34 »
My garden allotment last weekend.
My-garden-allotment.jpg

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 23:17 »
I'll also give Premier Seeds a thumbs up. I've ordered from them the last two years and have had much success.  The one place which I have found to be fantastic is Sea Spring Seeds. I made a point of testing a good few UK seed/plug/plant suppliers with emails, and both Premier and Sea Spring delivered on the customer interaction side. Sea Spring Seeds just did more for me on the chili side of things, so that's where I went back to this year. They also cover some more esoteric (?) things to try, and actually encourage seed saving; so go figure where I spent my money for this year of growing.

I have no ties to Sea Spring, or Premier. I'm just a semi newbie grower, and figure Thomson & Morgan etc... can sit this season out. When I first started to look at what was available, I found independents had the greatest range of fun stuff, and so far I haven't met with lesser germination or produce difference. If anything, I'd say more healthy plants. Probably because the seeds aren't stuck in cold storage for how many years.

Just my experience so far.

As for raised beds. It would seem practical with your trees, but I couldn't comment for sure. Whatever you do, please don't cut down your fruit trees to make room for vegetable beds. You can grow a turnip out of my belly button (sticky in), but a fruit tree... nah, I think you would need to do some hard grafting work to get it to comply.

In other words: Create the space, but don't lose the grace! :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 11:17 »
Nice to see you back here, BGB.  :D

xx
think I need to start again :-(

Started by Debsie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 16:47
by Goosegirl
xx
Where to start...

Started by greenster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 18:31
by woodburner
xx
New Start

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 00:28
by Kristen
xx
Where to start ?

Started by kevinp on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 12:57
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 49 queries.