Siberian Tomatoes

• 9 Replies

Lottie Mary

Siberian Tomatoes
« on: March 07, 2011, 19:01 »
Hello Everyone, I'm back in the board after a long absence and ready for spring to arrive!

I bought some special seeds from the Real Seed Co called Galina - Siberian cherry tomatoes.  I'm quite excited because they are supposed to be early (May/June, I believe!) and I know one of the main things that frustrates me so much about growing tomatoes is the ages waiting for all the green ones to go red!

Has anyone had any experience of growing this variety?

Thanks very much

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Siberian Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 22:02 »
Welcome back  :D

No, not tried those ones.  Are they for indoor (greenhouse) growing, as there is a risk of frost up till late May / early June, so I'd be surprised if they could be planted outdoors and be fruiting by then.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 22:57 »
I've not tried Galina in particular, but I've grown many other Siberian toms for my mother who has very short summers. And oddly enough, those plants put out a number of toms which green up very quickly. The catch is that you won't get large plants with the short growing seasons that Siberians are bred for, but you'll get a fair number of toms that quickly ripen and are quite nice tasting. You'll get them earlier than any of the other varieties. And the don't mind the cold (but not frost) as long as they get sun.

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:27 »
No experience of the toms, but very happy with Realseeds in that you can believe what they write about their seeds. Certainly worth a punt.

Yabba

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:10 »
I've grown Galina, they're a cherry yellow, pretty prolific, fruit early and I usually pick the last lot around mid december :D

Don't forget to save the seeds ;)

¥

stompy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:58 »
So when do you sow these Siberian toms, when do they go in the unheated greenhouse and when do they start to crop?
Im really interested in this, as said above the waiting for the first real tom (not supermarket bullets) seems to take an age.

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:15 »
I'll be sowing mine in a week or so to eventually be put in an open ended greenhouse at the end of May. Can't remember when they cropped last year but they were well ahead of all of my other varieties.

¥

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:21 »
I'm growing this variety to.  Mine are just getting their first true leaves.  I'm growing along some more normal varieties so it will be interesting to see how they compare!

stompy

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23 »
I'll be adding them to my list of :-
Sungold
Gardeners Delight
Roma
Alicante
Tigarella

I may have to put the cucumbers outside instead to alow more room for them.
I've only got a 6x8 greenhouse and it get more and more crammed every year  ::)

Lottie Mary

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 13:38 »
Thanks to everyone for your replies  :D

I've just planted some seeds on Saturday, so I'm waiting for them to shoot up.  I start all my seedlings in my conservatory and then move outside once the risk of frost has passed.  I'm planning on growing other varieties of toms too, but thought I'd give these a go to see if I can get some for my salad earlier than late July!!!  Very frustrating with traditional toms - I generally get loads of lettuce, cucumbers and radishes and no tomatoes to go on my homegrown salad!

This will also be my first experience of saving seed - which is of course the beauty of the Real Seed catalogue - can't wait!

xx
The last of the tomatoes

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 22:34
by WG.
xx
tomatoes

Started by STEVEN62 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 21:36
by solway cropper
xx
Tomatoes outside.

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 05, 2015, 13:26
by Growster...
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Country Bill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 15:16
by Trillium

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 33 queries.