Wood burner

• 33 Replies

dodgy geezer

Wood burner
« on: January 20, 2012, 15:44 »
I'm looking at getting a wood burning stove fitted and was wondering can i burn wood pallets & the block wood spacers on the pallets? I've visited a few different forums and this seems quite divided whether you can or not, thanks

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Wood burner
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 15:46 »
You can, but if you do, you'd be advised to make sure your flue/chimney is cleaned thoroughly and often as you will get a lot of deposit from it.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 15:50 »
and some of them can smell from the various treatments on the wood.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 17:33 »
And you need to be careful what woodburner you have - my brother has one with a catalytic converter which was chosen as they were told it was such a clean burn they would not need to line the chimney (it waas an old cottage and chimney lining would have been very difficult).

The catalytic converter means they can only burn well seasoned tree wood, whereas our multi-fuel woodburner is very tolerant & copes with all sorts of wood etc.
ManicMum

dodgy geezer

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 17:56 »
Ok thanks, i'm looking at a multi fuel burner anyway it's just i can get my hands on loads of blocks & clean pallets, i'm not planning on burning these solely, just alongside logs & solid fuel, much appreciated for your replies  ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 18:24 »
That sounds fine then. We have a multi fuel here, but try to stick to wood as much as possible too. :) Just remember to be aware that deposit build up is a potential cause of chimney fires.. ;)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 18:41 »
The bottom line here is that most pallets and spacers are made from softwoods. Which contain a lot of resins. Which, when burned, leave lots of creosote residue on chimney liners. Which can, if not cleaned very regularly, can self-ignite and cause chimney fires.

As said, be sure to burn the pallet and spacers with lots of hardwood which burn hotter and will burn off much of any creosote residue, but never totally. You'll still need to do annual cleanouts or you'll have future house insurance problems if you have a housefire.

dodgy geezer

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 19:08 »
Yes i plan to burn mostly wood & have chimney swept once or twice a year, currently just trying to gather as much information as possible. Thanks again

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:56 »
We burn most wood on ours pallets no problem except those returnable blue ones If you do burn pallets tho you need a good well made stove as those cheap ones dont seal that well and with the dry wood will just roar away burning terrific amounts of wood  breaking pallets up is also a bit of a pain as well You may well burn a few hundred over a winter
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

mrs mud

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 21:45 »
We got a multifuel stove just over a week ago.  We had loads of pallets which my OH prised apart with his "new" tool.  I have been sawing up the long bits and then chopping into kindling with a small axe (I use tongs to hold the wood, rather than my fingers), it's my new hobby! and you get loads of kindling from one pallett.  We have been burning the blocks no prob but they seem to need a hot rapid fire from other wood or coal etc, otherwise they just smolder and go black
"Potters always play dirty!"

Maison Lammonite

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 21:49 »
Hi,

I would use soft wood for starting your wood burner, then run it on well seasoned hardwood, we burn Oak, Ash & Hornbeam which are readily available but you may like to search for local suppliers. You could continue to burn softwood, but you'll find your flue will be tarred or very sooty depending what you burn and as stated some pallets are treated with preservatives.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 12:37 »
If you just use the softwood to get it going then use your seasoned logs I think that would be the way to go. You will see on your log burner door the residues coming off the pallet wood

Bear in mind that your log burner is not an incinerator but an expensive piece of kit, which if looked after, should last many trouble-free years  :)

My log burner will burn smokeless fuel but I'd rather burn logs and then I use the ash on the garden or in the compost bin

Ema

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 14:29 »
I'm pretty sure if your burning a lot of soft wood which smoulders your best off sweeping every 3 months when in use. If your multiburners being installed by a HETAS engineer and you know the installation will be safe for several years you could look at buying the sweeping brushes and doing it yourself

Welsh Merf

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 19:25 »
Whoa! I'm really enjoying reading this thread!

It happens to be Mrs James' next great plan - to buy a multi-fuel wood-burner. I'm quite looking forward to the challenge (and sitting in front of it next winter). And, like someone's already commented, my plan is to saw the planks from pallets and chop them up into kindling to start the fire, and then move onto logs (as much hardwood as I can find).

Let us know how you get on Dodgy! I'll do the same if I get mine installed before you!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 20:06 »
Same here.... we are getting a burner in a few weeks...my question is what is the best wood to burn ?

xx
Open fire or wood burner

Started by mrs mud on Property, Buildings, Equipment and Alternative Energy

43 Replies
Last post October 09, 2012, 03:11
by Trillium
xx
wod burner out of action

Started by rowlandwells on Property, Buildings, Equipment and Alternative Energy

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 21:13
by grinling
xx
gas bottle log burner

Started by burbage123 on Property, Buildings, Equipment and Alternative Energy

21 Replies
Last post October 07, 2012, 21:32
by ilan
xx
Wood not dry?

Started by Goldfinger on Property, Buildings, Equipment and Alternative Energy

26 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 13:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.