Making leaf mould.

• 9 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Making leaf mould.
« on: November 23, 2020, 17:34 »
Good evening everyone,     Never having made leaf muld before I'm making leafmould at a frantic pace, leaves from the park and the shedded Dailymail.  I have a quantity of sieved wood ash, should I incorporate it into the leaf mould, I also have some garden lime (called "soil improver")  should this go in as well?

Cheers,  Tony. ::)

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

snowdrops

Re: Making leaf mould.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 18:44 »
As I understand leaf mould you just make it with ...leaves! Start adding things & it won’t strictly be leaf mould, more compost 😊.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growing Weather

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 19:56 »
To get a quicker start..............You could put a light sprinkling of soil and perhaps a sprinkling of say Sulphate of Ammonia or Dried Blood over each 10 inch layer

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 23:05 »
I agree with Snowdrops, just leave the leaves to do their thing. I bag mine up and forget about them for 2 years, unless I'm short of brown waste during the summer, then I just open a bag and add it to the compost heap.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 09:15 »
A follow on question, and gives an idea of the amount of leaves being processed.  Due to lack of space, could I stack bags on top of each other or will this hinder airflow and the composting precess?

Cheers,  Tony 8)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:24 »
Poke a few holes in the bags and they'll be fine. I think air flow is less important in making leaf mould as (if I recall correctly) the decomposition is caused by a fungal process as opposed to the predominantly bacterial driven activity in normal composting.

jezza

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 19:50 »
Hello I make 35 bags of leaf mold a year I chop the leaves first with a rotary mower ,oak  leaves take longer to make so I mix them with other chopped leaves  after a couple of months with a blower vac in vac mode walnuts make compost quickly if chopped as they are leathery and take ages if left whole,photo of last years crab apple walnut and chestnut  leaf mold mix
20200827_133924.jpg

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 09:33 »
Many thanks for those contributions, well I have 5 bags of leaf mould (to be). One with seaweed liquor and shredded newspaper, one with horse manure liquor and shredded newspaper, one with Garrota and shredded newspaper, one with wood ashes and shredded newspaper  and the last with just Garrota.
Now I must away to write that all down and pop onto the side of the freezer or I'm bound to forget.  I'll let you know the outcome in 2022(ish).

Cheers,  Tony.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 19:03 »
Might also be worth tying a label onto each bag - otherwise they'll get blown about and you'll never know whih was which in 2 years' time!!  :ohmy: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 14:31 »
Hello did you use the liquid type garrota or the granular type ?you might find that the granular sits in layers unless very well mixed after a 6 weeks I'd tip each bag out and using a good muck fork stir it up,if it's a bit dry and you have a good garden vac run it through that then add a drop of water after its re bagged dont make it sloppy as it will never make leaf mould also the one with wiid ash might not turn properly as the wood ash can go clarty and make a solid layer of it settles out     jezza

xx
Leaf Mould

Started by boosmummy on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 12:32
by TerryB
xx
Leaf Mould ... Should I cover the leaves

Started by wbmkk on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 18:46
by sunshineband
xx
white mould

Started by crowndale on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 08:08
by crowndale
xx
Mould in compost bin

Started by kath77 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 17:02
by kath77

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 48 queries.