Invasive Bamboo

• 8 Replies

Carolyn Thorne

Invasive Bamboo
« on: November 22, 2020, 17:05 »
This is the first time using a forum so please be gentle.

My husband and started a partnership business in January (Great timing), doing garden maintenance. 
We were recently contacted by a mature, semi retired couple who had just moved house and wanted us to tidy up their garden, their intention being to grow their own veg etc.  However, the whole plot has bamboo growing in it.  The original plant is in their neighboring property (the neighbor wants to keep it).
I have never seen anything like it!  A you can see from the photo, it has gone mad. 
20201016_121924.jpg

Carolyn Thorne

Re: Invasive Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 17:14 »
I cut it back using loppers so we could see what the garden actually looks like.  Since this photo was taken, the main area has bee dug over and a huge amount of roots removed and disposed of.  How do we eradicate the bamboo completely and permanently, bearing in mind that the offender, seen on the other side of the fence next door, is to remain.
20201016_163055.jpg
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 17:15 by Carolyn Thorne »

Growing Weather

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 19:51 »
Short of digging a trench say 2ft deep and lining it with blockwork there is not much you can do. I don't suppose you could ask the neighbour to put the trench in their side of the fence can you?

Carolyn Thorne

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 21:15 »
We had considered that, but the neighbors plant is a huge spread and it would require a lot of blocks.  I did also wonder if the root system would still find its way between the blocks. (Frankly, the neighbors are not bothered about the problem it causes).
Since my original post, I've seen some root blocking material.  This appears to be made of some form of thick plastic/rubberised material and comes in 60-70cm x 5m, for about £40, which would probably stop the ongoing growth from next door.  However, it still doesn't solve our problem on how to deal with the proposed veggie plot.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Growing Weather

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 09:20 »

Bhilton

• The Yard and Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 13:08 »
I have two species of bamboo in my garden and if you lose control of them you're in for real trouble. I'm not one for pouring chemicals into my garden so I could only suggest digging out all of the roots and putting down a defense.

When I say defense I really mean blockade. You will need to dig a minimum of 2 feet, possibly more, and put down an incredibly durable barrier. Blockwork should be okay as long as there are no gaps in the brickwork of mortar. I would buy the purpose-made Bamboo RootBarrier material. It a bit like a rubber sheet but very thick and does the job. Google it and you'll find suppliers, I got mine from green tech I think (a few years back), but there are a few suppliers out there

grinling

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 15:49 »
Your clients might not want block work in their garden, but dig out everything on their side,new shoots can go quite a distance before appearing. Mine has gone under the compost bin!!
I would double dig the area.
Getting rid of new stuff which grows needs a sharp spade, I am trimming mine back.

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 18:22 »
I'm afraid that the only way I got rid of persistent bamboo in my garden was to first of all, while it was growing well, give it a really good dousing with week killer on the foliage.  Much against my better judgement because I don't really believe in using the stuff, but all else had failed. Every time new grow reappeared I gave is another dose. As it gradually got weaker I managed to start digging out the roots until, eventually, two years later I had cleared it all.  This was the one and only time I ever used weedkiller in my garden, and I never use it on the plot.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 22:28 »
This is a problem that could require heavy equipment, or better, a contractor.  There is trencher equipment that is used to dig deep narrow trenches in the ground (Ditch Witch is a common brand in the USA; search that to get an idea of what I'm talking about). After digging out as many roots as you can find, contract a trencher to dig a trench (2 ft deep if possible) and install that continuous plastic barrier material.

I have bamboo in my yard. It is both a blessing and a curse. It provides me with many tomato stakes, etc., But it is terribly invasive. I go around my woods with a machete, loppers, axe, and lawn mower to get rid of as many growths as possible, leaving some in one corner of the yard.  It has invaded from a neighboring yard.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Invasive bamboo removal

Started by james_so on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 18:06
by jackiestagg
xx
Perilla de nankin - invasive?

Started by barbarella on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 15:11
by barbarella
xx
eradicating invasive pulmonaria

Started by Janeymiddlewife on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 22:29
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Killing off invasive plants.

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 21:01
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 48 queries.