Potatoes

• 22 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Potatoes
« on: July 23, 2006, 16:15 »
This seems like a strange question to me because I've never come across it before, but can potatoes go to seed??

My maincrops are flowering, then, instead of dying down, the flowers turn into seed pods.  Is it the weather?  something I've done wrong, or does it happen anyway?  Last year was my first year in about 25 for potatoes, and the small amount of maincrops I did have, were eaten really too early, as i just couldn't wait!!!!

shaun

Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 16:45 »
a lfew of mine have seed pods on them and i asked the same question and was  told to leave them alone but i could be wrong ,also they are deadly
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

GrannieAnnie

Potatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 16:54 »
Thanks for that Shaun, I had been taking htem off, but if they aren't going to hurt my potatoes, I'll leave them.  Don't worry, I wasn't going to eat them!!! lol  They are in the bin

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Potatoes
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 13:16 »
I did wonder what was going on I've got like little tomatoes on my Cara maincrop and thought it very strange guess I'll just leave them alone now i know Thanks for the info.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Potatoes
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 13:48 »
Hi Folks,

First thing the little tomatoes on your poatoes are Poisonous, so do not be tempted to eat them.  If you have children, or there are children on the plot remove them from temptation.

I always remove them from my potatoes anyway, because being a seed pod the plant tends to put all its power into growing them and this distracts the growth from the tubers (Poatoes).  It might be an old wives tale, but I usually get reasonable crop from my spuds.

Are the potatoes they are on your main crops or second earlies?  On the earlies the first signs of flower and fruit indicate there is a crop under the surface.  

Hope thats been helpful - happy potato digging

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Comfry_Kid

Potatoes
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 23:40 »
Hi All,

Rugbymad40 is 100% correct - I asked the same Q last year - as a newby I thought you may be able to do something with them (the word seed pod confused me - sound useful to me) I was told to pull the off and remove from the plot as incase my kiddies got a hold of them as they are poisonous.

I got an excellent crop of big red spuds last year - poss called deseree - but i couldn't get any this year.

anybody else have probs buying seed potatoes this year?

GrannieAnnie

Potatoes
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 17:03 »
No probs, our nearest big garden centre always has loads and lots of different varieties too, and they are a bit chepaer than the seed catalogues!

Nugget

Potatoes
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 11:59 »
just got my first spuds this morning, 2 carrybags full from 1 row of 10 plants first year on the allotment so i am well chuffed. :D
theres nothing more lonesome, morbid or drear than to stand at the bar of a pub with no beer!

greenfingers

Potatoes
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 21:48 »
:D Well done nugget! I bet they will taste like the best u've ever had.I am gonna try putting some in this week or is it too late? I havnt brought them yet so which would you recommend as yours sound great!

GrannieAnnie

Potatoes
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 22:05 »
Hi greenfingers, its a bit late for spuds now, unless you want to try for Christmas as we were talking about.  Potatoes usually get planted April May time.

GrannieAnnie

Potatoes
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 22:09 »

greenfingers

Potatoes
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 17:55 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
PS have a look at this link!

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/gg9.php

Hi grannie annie, thanks for the link and advice.
Happy growing!!

oscar

Potatoes
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 19:35 »
Hi I'm Oscar.   Just started growing my own crops this year and i'm lifting them.   the potatoes r a mixed bunch - some beig red (desiree ?) and some being white (maris piper?).  I forgot to separate them when I planted them, so it's like a lucky dip pulling my next tatties !   Does anyone know the best way to store them?   I'm just putting them into a cardboard box.   Is that good enough.   They're also in an outhouse.    Please help .   looking 4ward 2 many replies.   Cheers    :)

GrannieAnnie

Potatoes
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 22:09 »
Hi Oscar, good luck with the growing.  You've got to keep your potatoes in the dark, so is your cardboard box covered up, excluding all light? otherwise they'll go green and you won't be able to use them.  Cardboard should be okay, but usually they are kept in potato sacks or similar bags, just not plastic, or they'll rot.

I've got a bit of a mixture potatoe wise this year too.  I only planted white Maris Piper Maincrop, but they are near last year's potato bed, which is throwing up some red King Edwards that I didn't dig up last year (silly me!).  Mind you, some of last year's RKE's are nicer than the new crop!!!!

James

• Experienced Member
Potatoes
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 08:48 »
Quote from: "Comfry_Kid"
I got an excellent crop of big red spuds last year - poss called deseree - but i couldn't get any this year.

anybody else have probs buying seed potatoes this year?

I've got a great supplier of seed potatoes.  Called Waitrose.  They havea great array of interesting spuds.  Their Shetland Blacks grow very well.

Tescos is also good, but they don't have the range of varieties.  My corner shop also does them, but they never have a name.

If you're having trouble finding them in the supermarket, try the vegetables aisle.   8)

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes up - now what?

Started by Charityuk on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 20:01
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 40 queries.