Potatoes

• 7 Replies

tonydevine125

Potatoes
« on: August 05, 2010, 18:04 »
Why did my potato plants die yet have many under-developed potatoes which looked OK except for their size?

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 18:12 »
photos of the plants would be good someone will probably identify the cause

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 18:15 »
As well as the variety.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 18:33 »
Have a very close look at the roots of the plants you have dug up; if there are some or possibly many round, pinhead-sized, whitish or yellowish structures attached to the roots your spuds have suffered from eelworm attack, which causes premature die-back and consequently small tubers. The tubers may (but don't always) also have cysts attached (you can eat the tubers but you won't get fat!)

If not then back to the drawing board and yes, more info and preferably a pic!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 20:06 »
Far too many possibilities, and JayG listed one of those! Pics really are required and could help other people too  ;)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 20:14 »
we don't know where you are, so it may even have been drought conditions :unsure:

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 20:19 »
Why did my potato plants die yet have many under-developed potatoes which looked OK except for their size?

My first earlies (Lady Chrystl) are pretty much like that, some plants with only two medium potatoes, some with a few small pots and every now and again I get a plant with a large yield of large pots. I'm sure it's the very dry weather we had. They taste very nice though.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 20:59 »
My Desiree and maris pipers have both suffered with this problem.  My Charlottes were fine, but they were out early. 

Everyone on my plot seems to have been affected, which makes me think the weather is the culprit.   The tubers are the size of large marbles with a handful about golf ball size despite regular watering.  The plants have started to die back, so they aint gonna get much bigger. 

These mediterranean summers don't suit everything.  My sweetcorn on the other hand has gone crazy !!!!!

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
new potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2022, 17:57
by Growster...

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 40 queries.