Roma tomatoes

• 3 Replies

sam51

Roma tomatoes
« on: July 29, 2019, 21:11 »
hi, grown a lot of Roma tomatoes this year, I do like them for soup and pasta source,
but as soon as  they turn red, they get what looks like blossom end rot.
they are fine at the green and orange stage.
please help, thank you.

Goosegirl

Re: Roma tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:45 »
I think that's lack of calcium so give them a feed with Maxicrop.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 13:01 »
I grew them last year and had exactly the same problem, my other varieties (Gardeners' Delight and Sweet Million didn't show it, so I guess Roma must be more prone to it.)

I had been letting the micro irrigation system do the watering (with supplementary feeding with tomato fertiliser), but it did tend to leave some drier spots.
Subsequent fruits were much better after I went back to watering manually, making sure the compost never went dry, nor was ever flooded (which can cause other problems, like splitting.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 14:28 »

Strange one indeed. I grew load of Roma last year and not a problem... I also grew an F1 San Marzano variety from premier seeds for years and had not problem BUT last year I was in Italy for a holiday and came across some Sam Marzano F1 seeds so bought some... what do you know some of the tomatoes are showing Blossom end problems even at the small and green stage. I am not calling it BER yet it may be related to watering as we did have a very hot and dry spell... but I used my auto watering and it is still there, no such problem with Roma which are doing fine?? Think I will get some seed from premier seeds again  :lol:

xx
roma tomatoes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 02:54
by sclarke624
xx
Roma Tomatoes

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 15:06
by compostqueen
clip
Roma tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 21:56
by Yorkie
xx
Incas and Roma

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 11:47
by tosca100

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 39 queries.