Shallots.

• 29 Replies

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Re: Shallots.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 13:01 »
Hope that it's not too late as I only planted some red onion sets on Sunday as I didn't have enough seed germinate
Paul

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 21:02 »
That's normally how it works
Shallots are not very successful grown from seed and rarely done
Bring them on in pots first to get a strong root system, then plant out when strong enough

I notice that your shallots seem to be more or less sitting on top of the soil. I thought they needed to be buried with just the tips showing. Have I triumphed again?

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 21:06 »
The above is just so they can develop roots I think, planted put they would be to the top... I think!
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

Carrot Man

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 21:35 »
Plant them the same as you would onion sets
Just sit them slightly in the soil

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51 »
Plant them the same as you would onion sets
Just sit them slightly in the soil

Yeah, but I put onion sets in so that just the top is showing.  :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02 »
Don't worry, it's not that critical.

I completely bury, (just), onion sets & shallots. It stops the birds getting at them, and all that faffing with netting.

Others pull soil over them with a draw hoe to bury them, that soil will get wash away with the rain to leave the bulb exposed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Carrot Man

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 18:00 »
It's simply a case of what suits you
Not everything works for everyone and there is more than one way to skin a cat
I am growing for exhibition, so am more precise about how I do certain things
That said, it doesn't necessarily mean it is the right of best way, just the best way for me

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 18:15 »
I grow to put food on the plate.

As long as it tastes good and I can grow it without a lot of faffing, I'm happy. If I happen to get a magnificent specimen of something, it's a bonus and nothing more.

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 07:09 »
related subject storing of shallots either for eating or sets. Last year I separated mine, let them dry off and laid them in a whicker basket in garage( well ventilated) when I went to get any they had all gone to mush. What did I do wrong?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:12 by thestens »
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17 »
Two possibilities

1. They may have frozen in the winter

2. Not dry enough before you put them in the basket. Roots have got to be completely shrivelled and brittle
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 08:27 »
Every year I try a little bit harder to make sure they are completely dried out before storing in a dry and frost-free place but still lose some.  :(

The rot usually starts in one of two places -  the neck, which is the hardest part to fully dry out as it contains the green remains of the leaves; twisting and pulling off what's left of the leaves helps, the other is when what looks like a single shallot is actually two "siamesed" together and it's the skin dividing them which doesn't dry, and I haven't found an answer for that one other than to eat them first (if I can identify them before it's too late!  :unsure:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Auntiemogs

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 08:45 »
Well, just had a quick furtle around a couple of my shallots.  One was all mooshy so I guess that's a gonner  :( and the other had 2cm roots and felt quite firm.  Still no sign of any top growth though.  They're in a raised bed in fairly clay soil but I worked in some compost, sand and manure last year.  Oh dear... :(
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22 »
I won't say I've never had a shallot set pulled out, but if you trim off any loose wispy bits of dried stem from the tops before planting, and make sure only the very tip sticks out of the ground, the birds haven't got a great deal to go at.

The list of crops which people feel the need to pre-chit or start indoors in modules seems to be getting ever longer, and often it can be justified, but shallots won't be going on my list of something needing that sort of special treatment anytime soon.

I agree with you JayG but if you can't get to the plot and want to get them going it's a sure way of making sure you give them a really good start rather than a late one through lack of time.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 14:48 »
I start my shallots and onion sets (whenever I decide to grow any) the same way, except my container is smaller but taller. This gets them out of dormancy and rooting. By the time it's planting out time, they're already started and I can discard any that either rotted or haven't started leafing. When I plant them, I do bury them almost to the top of the bulb. Soon enough they'll push themselves back out.

This works for me.

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 16:06 »
Works for me too...
P1040397.jpg

xx
My Shallots

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 17:39
by Lisbon67
xx
shallots

Started by dav105e on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 21:24
by Mr B
xx
Shallots

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 00:39
by Mintyboy
xx
shallots

Started by marie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2006, 23:05
by Heather_S

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 29 queries.