Clay soil

• 4 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Clay soil
« on: June 23, 2008, 19:59 »
Hi

Just seen another post about a delivery of sandy soil to be added to a clay one.

The soil on our lottie is quite clay and sometimes quite hard, it is very difficult to break down lumps to make a good seed bed.  We are planning on buying some sharp sand when the season has finished and dig it in.

My question is how much sand would you reccomend to be added to the soil - I know it's impossible to be exact but our main planting area is 6mx12m - just wondered how many bags to buy.

Cheers

willnbirdie

subaru

Clay soil
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 20:35 »
Hi willnbirdie.

Your aim with your clay soil is to open it up with the sand and manure so I would say  to start with about 20 to 30lbs of sand for every 50ft sq and also add lots of manure to your plot it is best not to add to much sand at once so you don't get sand pockets. Make sure you dig the sand and manure in well so it is mixed in well. A clay soil is not all that bad, as most clay soils are quite fertile you just need to give it a helping hand so it will release the food to the plants. Next year you may need to add more to get a good soil take time to build up but it is worth it in the end.

All the best.

Subaru.
Please leave things how you would like to find them.

vegmandan

Clay soil
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 20:43 »
I added about 2 inches of limestone grit to one of my beds last year and it's only 5x3 m and that took 2 tonnes !!  :shock:

I then rotavated it in in spring when the frost had broken the clay clods down and it mixed in very well

If your soil is as clayey as it sounds then you'll need at least this much eventually.

I got that delivered on a trailer but in bags it would have been about 50.

So for your area you'd need about 5 tonnes per inch added (200-250 bags).

I'd start off with plenty of strawey cow muck unless you're very very rich. :lol:

gobs

Clay soil
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 21:27 »
Now, don't ask me where and when and how, but for sure I  read sand is not at all good for improving clay soil. :?

Lime and manure, one at a time and anyhow, as said, it's a god sent, compared to lot of other soils, as I can testify after a good few years of pottering it, anything will grow in it, that includes everything they say it won't. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

subaru

Clay soil
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 21:44 »
Lime at 100g per mtr sq is a good starting point but check your PH level.

You will be suprised how much salt is still in the sand that you buy!

Subaru.

xx
hello & clay soil

Started by colonel mustard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 22:35
by Kajazy
xx
Clay Soil

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 12:19
by WebSiteEvo
xx
Clay soil

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 12:48
by Goosegirl
xx
Clay soil.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 22:50
by Ricey

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 28 queries.