how many chickens

• 5 Replies

allotmenteer

• Experienced Member
how many chickens
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:23 »
Does anyone know if there is a rule in the allotment acts, of the maximum amount of chickens one plot holder can keep. I have read somewhere that if you have 50 or more you are classed as commercial and have to inform DEFRA. But someone else said informing DEFRA is voluntary.  I have 48 at moment and there is a jobs worth on our allotments that is counting my chickens and thinks if I get two more he can cause trouble. I do not mind and will always agree to abide by any rules, but am not sure if this is a rule. He has asked the newest plot holder to pretend he is interested in my garden and to come on to my plot and count the chickens, this new plot holder went to school with me and informed me of this. The jobs worth does not know we are friends.
Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
 :

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: how many chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:02 »
Anybody who has 50 or more birds (this includes all types such as ducks, guinea fowl, geese, chickens etc) must register with Defra - I have been registered with them since I had a dozen and I am not commercial. Less than 50 is purely voluntry but I registered just in case there was an outbreak of any notifiable diseases in my area so that I could be informed straight away and get my birds under cover.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:19 »
Sounds like if you reach 50 and it becomes a commercial flock in the eyes of defra you may fall foul of allotment rules against commercial growing.
You must eat a lot of eggs  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:24 »
having 50 still doesn't make you commercial, but there may be a limit in the allotment laws that you can have as the average family do not need 50 birds and as you will be aware I don't think with allotments you are allowed to sell your produce and I assume - although somebody may correct me if I am wrong - this will also include the sale of eggs and chickens as produce.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:05 »
As has already been said, if you have over 50 birds if any variety it is compulsory to register with DEFRA. This is even if you only have over 50 for part of the year. Under that registration is voluntary. Registration with DEFRA does not make you commercial. The primary goal is to monitor disease outbreaks as larger flocks are thought to be more likely to be involved in the spread of illness.

I think at 48, especially with this jobsworth hanging about I would be tempted to register. Amazing how easily most of us on here seem to manage to acquire 2 birds without any effort at all! You have a month after reaching 50 after which you have to register.

None of this of course addresses what the rules of your allotment committee says. I understand that you are not allowed to sell produce (although I know of at least 1 member here who does with the knowledge of her allotment committee). I don't know how yours would see this or if you swap eggs for other produce or just sell to cover the cost off feed. Might be best to talk to your committee openly and find out their stand point which would take the wind out of the jobsworths sails with his like of the cloak and dagger stuff!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 13:26 »
I think it is down to each allotment committee/contract.  Ours states that we must ask for permission before getting chickens and gives a range of guidelines including the fact that we are not allowed more than 10 per plot, that the run must give a minimum of 4 square feet per hen, that cockerels are not allowed, that they must have access to a dustbath etc.

I must admit I am surprised that you are allowed to keep 48 chickens on one plot!

xx
Ain't nobody here but us chickens

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 07:46
by joyfull
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 15:49
by Springlands
xx
Say hello to my chickens!

Started by Nicki85 on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 12:56
by LittleRedHen
xx
Who said chickens don't fly?

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2011, 20:39
by madcat

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 39 queries.