Can someone please advise me re worming,lice & frontline

• 11 Replies

rosie14

Hi, my old hen def. has lice, my other 2 look perfectly clear but of course they mix so unlikely to be totally free of them iyswim?

After reading up it seems alot of poultry people use frontline but it's not licenced for them is that correct? Please could you tell me what I ask for, how to obtain it and how much to dose with. I have a smallish black hen and a welsummer also a large Orpington, I presume I dose her with an extra drop due to her size but? Also she is sitting on 5 hatching eggs does this matter at all?

I only have the 3 birds to worm, how small a lot do I need to dose them all as don't want to waste it (I presume it date expires) or my money! Where would I get this also?

thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Can someone please advise me re worming,lice & frontline
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 15:21 »
You are correct Frontline is not licensed for poultry so I get mine from my vets (I use the spray stuff and give a quick squirt between the shoulder blades after parting the feathers), others buy the kitten strength drops. As it isn't licensed for poultry a shop should not sell it to you for this reason only for cats hence why I go to my vets (I have to sign for it acknowledging the fact that it isn't licensed).
Flubenvet for worming is really easy - you cut out all treats for the 7 days and follow the instructions on the tub - mixing just 2kgs of feed at a time, this way there is little or no wastage and the tub should last you several worming sessions.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rosie14

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 15:26 »
thanks Joyfull. Will most vets give it to me ok or am I best getting the kitten one and letting them assume it will be used on such?!

Can I get the wormer from my vets also btw?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 15:32 »
a vet will ask to see a bird before they prescribe the frontline. Shop around for flubenvet as prices do vary.

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 19:59 »
I only have two birds at worming time I boil up some pasta and sprinkle thfectse powder on a few every day for seven days.They both get their own dish before they eat anything else.Works every time.I've used the kitten frontline on both of them with no ill effect.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 21:11 »
To save the expense of a trip to the vet with a hen and therefore a consultation fee, you can buy frontline at Pets at Home or Lloyds chemists.  Just don't tell them it's for your hens!  You get a box of 3 pipettes for about £14 and 1 pipette did 6 hens this weekend - one drop each.  It helps if you  have someone to hold the hen still!

rosie14

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 22:27 »
thanks ladies really helpful advice. I'm happy to go for kitten frontline and wonder how many drops to use per hen bearing in mind I have 3, but one is quite infested (I'd say but?) and one is a large orpington. Can I buy flubenvet at pets at home or do I have to pop into vets and get some? Got to go to pets at home to pick up our pups raw meat and vets for his weigh in and wormer anyhow thanks

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02 »
Do you know why its not licensed for poultry ??

Can any of the chemicals get to the eggs ??

If you do use it how many times a year do you do it, or is it just when you see lice on the chickens ?

sorry referring to Frontline

Thanks

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:43 »
It's not licensed for poultry because the manufacturers probably haven't submitted the information to the relevant health authorities.

I have a feeling over the next few years, there will be more and more medications which do get licensed to keep pace with the growing interest inpoultry keeping in the UK!

Because it isn't licensed, there is very little documented evidence of the effects on the internal laying system of the hens, so depending on which vets you speak to, they may recommend a week egg withdrawal or even a month.

Personally I would only treat lice, and not try to use it as a prevantative. :)

rosie14

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 19:13 »
thanks everyone, just thought I'd let you know I went for Zeno from the vets for lice (treatment of). It's a small pipette of 20 drops of spot on treatment and was just over £5. You have to weigh the hens to get dosage (I put them in an open topped box to do it) but it was only like 2 or 3 drops per hen. I have only 3 hens but of different sizes if you had same breed of birds I guess you only need to weigh one and go on that.

Is lice common in hens do you know everyone?

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 20:46 »
Iv got some frontline spray from the vet as my cat got harvest mites is this the same you would use on a chicken? Also how many sprays per bantam and l/f ? My hens don't have lice but would be good to know just incase .

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 21:08 »
I think lice are fairly common on hens. I have had them (on my hens  :tongue2:) once in 18 months - and in the summer. But they do go easily with the frontline - within 24 hours in my experience.

WRT the frontline spray for cats that you got from the vet - could you ring the vet and ask their advice? I think anyone on here would not like to say when its been prescribed by your vet (but it probably is the same!)

xx
frontline for lice?

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 12:46
by Catsmuvva
xx
Lice on 2 new chooks - Frontline advice???

Started by wildy78 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 11:42
by joyfull
xx
Hen with chicks and Frontline/lice powder

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 12:16
by Helenaj
question
Preventative measures for Lice/Mites/Worming etc?

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 07:28
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 40 queries.