New hen

• 2 Replies

Martyne

New hen
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:14 »
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to integrate a new hen into an existing flock? We have recently adopted a hen (loman brown) from one of my neighbours friends whose whole flock were killed by a fox bar this one. We already have two loman browns (maralyn and greta). We have a run of 18ft by 5ft and unfortunately we did not have another coop or run that we could put the new addition into to let them get used to one another. So we had no choice but to put the new one into the coop with the other girls last night, they were ok but today maralyn is hiding away from the new hen. Whilst greta chases and pecks her anytime she sees her and is trying to escape the run when she is out of sight. The poor thing is terrified and is trying to keep as far away from them as possible. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make greta and maralyn's acceptance of this new addition any easier?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New hen
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:38 »
sometimes spraying with a light mist of diluted vinegar when they are all asleep is thought to help - this way when they wake up they all smell the same. However having never tried this method I don't know if it works. Just make sure they have several feeders, drinkers and plenty of hiding places to keep out of each others way. The integration process where they have to sort out the pecking order can take a couple of weeks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Martyne

Re: New hen
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 22:28 »
Thanx, I will give the diluted vinegar a try

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.