Duck chick with wonky leg

• 8 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Duck chick with wonky leg
« on: May 29, 2009, 21:05 »
Can anyone with duck knowledge please advise for a friend of mine.  She has 2 ducks about 3 days old now and one has what seems to be a wonky dead leg from the elbow down.  Will this come right with time, or brasing/splinting?  Quite strong and vocal, eating ok and does not appear to be weak in any other way.  He can wiggle the toes a bit at times and will be a pet duck if it does not have to be culled.  Any advice please.
mrs.ploppy

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Duck chick with wonky leg
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 21:23 »
Is it splayed out to the side? It sounds like it might be spraddly leg. Happens when they are kept on too smooth a surface. Important to have something that gives them a bit of grip, I use old towels for the first few days and then move them onto the usual bedding.

I've never had to do this but you can treat them by hobbling them so the lag doesn't slide out to the side. I think people just use some soft string or elastic but never had the proplem, been lucky, so not had to try.

Hopefully someone else will have some other ideas for you.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 21:33 »
No deffo not slayed leg.  Came out of shell like it and there seems to be some sort of paralisation there with foot a bit curled.  Dose not bed out like I have seen in pictures.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 21:40 »
Don't know then. I've had a couple come out and seem to take a bit longer to get on their feet and for their foot to sort of unfurl from being in the shell but never as long as 3 days.

Could it have been injured? I had one with a broken leg at about 4 days and it also sat like you describe, hopped about a bit but didn't move it much. Has it got sensation in the foot (give it a gentle pinch and see if it complains)? Are there any areas of tenderness?

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 22:03 »
I only had a brief look at it but it does wiggle toes but have not pinch tested for pain.  She will give it a few mare days to see as it only has one hatchling for company.  Shame to cull and leave one on its own.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 22:05 »
Hi Mrs P

If it were to stand upright would the foot/ leg be in the same direction as the other or is it as if the whole foot is turned side ways ?

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 22:42 »
If it gets up and stands the other leg is tucked up to body, holding foot off floor, standing on one leg.  Foot points to frount, toes all tucked flat together, leg not sticking out to side.

Vember

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 09:54 »
There are a few problems that can cause leg problems as I'm sure your aware, inbreeding, too high incubation temp and vitamin B  deficiency.

You could try adding some brewers yeast to it's food to, apart from that I'm really not sure :(

Are they being fed non medicated crumbs?

Sarah :)

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 19:11 »
No idea about the chick crumb as they are not my own ducks.  But will pass on all tips for them to try.  Its sooooo cute it deserves a chance.  thanks to  all for the advice.

xx
wonky duck

Started by tesni on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 14:14
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Chick with wonky beak!!!

Started by em.a on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 11:14
by upthetump
xx
Duck Feed - Chick Crumbs

Started by darrena on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 20:07
by darrena
xx
wonky beak

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 21:10
by Bodger

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 38 queries.