Pita bread

• 7 Replies

Lardman

Pita bread
« on: April 06, 2010, 22:53 »
Im in need of something to put my kebab in  :D

I've tried a few recipes from the web but Im struggling with the end result. During cooking in the oven they expand to a huge size and then crisp which causes them to crack when cool. I have tried on my chapatti Tava but it doesn't seem to cook them properly and they're still doughy in the middle. (They look better though  ::) )

Using
400g White Bread Flour
200ml (ish) milk
Pinch Salt
15ML Olive Oil
1tsp sugar
1tsp yeast

Pizza dough setting on the panny.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction.

Haz

Re: Pita bread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 23:05 »
Hi Lardman,

You can try the Lebanese bread.  It is round and thinner than the Pitta bread.  When you heat it try not to get it hard and crispy so it stays soft.  It is nice with kebab, especially when you add some lettuce, or other green leaves, tahini sauce.
Hazem

Yabba

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:24 »
I use this recipe, made them last night actually, works a treat :D
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/pitabread

¥

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 17:19 »
I'll have a play with both...  I think I may be over cooking them.

Yabba

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 22:09 »
Some tips I picked up from that site :

1) use a stone
2) whap your oven up to it's highest setting ( leaving stone in there during the pre-heat )
3) autolysing is fantastic :D

¥

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 23:33 »
3) autolysing is fantastic :D

The confused fatman said "do what now?"  ::)  Im ashamed to say I had to goggle that.

Might have another go on the tawa again tomorrow, the meats in the fridge marinating.

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 00:17 »
Autolysing basically means, "throw everything in except salt and oil" (assuming dried yeast) and then wander off for 20 minutes or so, saves all the kneading bit. @link autolyse. Personally I've found that you still need (want?) to knead a tad after it, but it's waaaaay less effort ... suits me, but I'm a lazy b*gger :tongue2:

¥
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 00:24 by Yabba »

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 14:47 »
I've never made pitta but always make flatbreads, which you can use in the same way. I last had them with a Moroccan-style lamb 'keema' (not authentic, but really tasty!) and aubergine dip. Really good.

Makes approx 8 breads.

260g strong white bread flour
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 level teaspoon dried yeast
200ml tepid water
2 tbsp olive oil
2tsp black onion seeds/sesame seeds/chilli flakes/fennel seeds/cumin seeds (optional)

Place the flour, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl and add the water into the flour, a bit at a time - mix together. Then add the oil and knead for 5-10minutes, until the dough is slightly tacky but is smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for approx 30mins or until doubled in size. Knock back, knead again and then divide in 8 equal sized pieces.
Generously flour a work surface and roll each piece out to approx 1/2cm thick - they'll be about the size of a regular pitta bread.
Pre-heat a flat griddle pan or heavy-bottomed frying pan and put the bread on, for about 4-5mins, turning halfway through. Each bread should bubble up a little bit and char slightly in places, but should still be soft. Keep warm in a pre-heated oven as you prepare the others.
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Bread , oil

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 10:47
by chrissie B
xx
Bread Makers

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

64 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 01:21
by Paul Plots
xx
Bread always going wrong!!

Started by peapod on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 10:44
by DD.

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 39 queries.