Flowers not turning to veg

• 10 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Flowers not turning to veg
« on: August 02, 2011, 22:38 »
Its looking like this year is a total wipe-out for me.  Compared to my first 2-3 years growing, most things are really poor, if not a disaster.  The common theme seems to be flowers not turning to fruit:  toms (outdoor and those in plastic greenhouse with door open) have loads of flowers (more than previous years) but they have hardly set any fruit - just sat there for what seems like weeks and weeks.  Plants look healthy enough.

Same for runner beans - loads of flowers for last 2-3 weeks but not one bean has formed and the flowers are now dropping.

As for the climbing french beans - no flowers forming yet despite vigorous growth.

And finally the courgettes are just awful - constantly rotting away despite really healthy plants.

My first thought is pollination, but I didnt think that would be an issue for the toms?  And possibly the beans?  And doesnt explain the lack of flowers on the french beans.  Im now trying the laborious hand polination technique for the courgettes - like  I have nothing better to do to get a decent courgette!!

Any tips, or shall I just write this year off as a badun and blame the weather?!

Trillium

Re: Flowers not turning to veg
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 22:45 »
Most of the crops you mention are hot weather crops. I'm talking regular 75F and up weather, and lots of sun. Without both, the crops won't do well. In future, you could try growing cukes and courgettes in closed coldframes to maintain some heat and any light. For many UKrs its been a poor growing season all around, so you're not alone.

Even beans need heat to set flowers despite plant vigor.

For better pollination, I always keep loads of flowers near the garden to attract pollinators: bee balm, borage, lilac, calendula, lupins, daisies, etc. True, the bees go after one type of plant at a time, but they quickly realize there's lots there for them and they keep returning. I also keep a bird bath of water full for them at all times. Even bees need water.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 00:01 »
Not sure about some of the others, but youd be surprised with the runner beans, they appear to drop there flowers and fill you with disapointment, and then, next time you look, there lots of teeny tiny little beans growing  :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:24 »
We have tomatoes, courgettes and climbing french beans (on their brand new bean frame) in the same position Kermit. Don't have runner beans. Its a double shame as we've planted far too many of the tomatoes and courgettes so we were guaranteed to have plenty to preserve, unlike previous years when we have always managed to keep up with the crop.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:05 »
That's good to know, thx argylie.

Glad all that moaning I did on here about the may-June weather wasn't in vain!  I just thought that the decent weather (and strong growth) since then would have resulted in some veg forming. There's only so much lettuce, kale and shallots we can eat!

As for the runners, there's definitely no beans forming yet - the whole flower is falling leaving absolutely nothing. Iv read this can happen early on but it's been flowering for 3 weeks now.

As for pollination, I prob should have more flowers around but so little space! And there are definitely bees around. I even saw one in a runner flower!

There's always next year...

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03 »
Its quite disheartening, but as long as you remember you're not the only one in this position this year, just think as you say there's always next year. ::)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:09 »
Same here too. My runner beans have been flowering for weeks, not a single pod so far. My Cobra French are cropping but Blauhilde have been flowering for weeks, not a single pod. The outdoor tomatoes (15 plants) have been flowering for weeks and have only just started to form the first tiny green tomatoes. And I have just picked the first courgette on 6 plants, after weeks and weeks of male only flowers or rotting fruit.

They're all swarming with bees so it's definitely not a germination issue. And they're in more than one part of my garden, so it's not likely the soil conditions, it has to be the weather.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:17 »
Had a slow start to the season but everthing except the Toms in greenhouse are starting to produce well now.
Had our 1st squash, from the greenhouse at home, last weekend.
It could be that the night time temps had been so low even when the daytime temp was OK. 

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 10:31 »
Good news, for us anyway! :D The Inca tomato plants in the polytunnel are full of little green fruits growing away happily. :) I'm not sure what is the state of play with the solitary tomato on one of the outdoor hanging basket plants though. ::)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:38 »
Update on the solitary tomato. It is now about malteser sized and is ripening. :) It has a number of smaller than pea sized companions.

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 18:09 »
I picked 4 courgettes last night. All rotten so straight on the compost. So much for hand pollination!  Tiny runners now forming. French are trying to flower finally. Outdoor toms got loads of flowers but very little fruit. anyway, glad it's not just me!

xx
Flowers on squash plants turning brown

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 07:54
by DD.
xx
Cauli's turning turning purple

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 13:11
by Oscar Too
xx
Turning over sod

Started by Asherweef on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 15:30
by Asherweef
xx
Turning

Started by Amilo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 13:44
by Amilo

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 35 queries.