Limping duck

• 6 Replies

Carshay

Limping duck
« on: May 26, 2012, 17:10 »
Things have improved a bit in the chicken run- the Babcock now gets off the roof for a few mins at a time but now I have a limping runner duck! She is the most nervous one and I think seems to have injured a leg. I can't see blood & she can hobble on it so I have decided to leave her & see how she is tomorrow as she will be very stressed if I try to catch her. BUT I feel guilty - should I do more or am I doing the right thing?

Springlands

Re: Limping duck
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 19:09 »
If you cannot see an obvious injury I would leave it and see how she is tomorrow - if there is not improvement you could then try and catch her to take her to the vet on Monday.

They can heal quite quickly - one of our ducks was injured in a fox attack in which we lost one hen. He had a fairly minor cut - we just made sure that he had plenty of water to bathe in and in a couple of days he was completely back to normal so hopefully the same will apply to your duck.

They can be such a worry because they cannot tell you what is wrong and you are quite often guessing what the problem is.

Carshay

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 21:39 »
Thanks - ill hope for the best

Carshay

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22 »
Thanks for the advice. Millie seems fine this morning - probably strained it trying to go somewhere she shouldn't!

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:35 »
Glad to hear that she appears better - I think that because ducks are more at home on water than on land and because of the weight distribution they are possibly more vulnerable to leg problems than hens.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:28 »
I have found this too, particularly with the runners. I think the just zoom around and injure themselves but have always picked up quite quickly.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

jamima

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43 »
My friend who's a breeder said this problem occurs occasianally as it has in mine he said it was a food imbalance and it corrects it self.Will find out more from him .

xx
Limping Duck.... Now treated with IBULEVE!!

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 20:10
by Springlands
xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
Limping Hen

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 08:31
by joyfull
xx
Limping hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 11:06
by Foxy

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 35 queries.