Limping Duck.... Now treated with IBULEVE!!

• 6 Replies

Prod

Limping Duck.... Now treated with IBULEVE!!
« on: June 25, 2013, 19:38 »
Yet another problem......   My white call duck, Ollie, has developed a limp.  He was fine this morning but this afternoon he was lay with one leg stretched out along with his wing. I wasn't too bothered because both the ducks and hens seem to do this when it is sunny. Later though I saw him walking and he had a limp. Ive checked his leg out and can see no damage or injury, in fact he pushes hard with both feet when I hold him. The joint does not seem inflamed.  He does get picked on a tiny bit by one of the other call ducks, but nothing serious. The only thing I can think of is maybe he sprained it getting out of the paddling pool as I change dthe water yesterday and forgot to put the 'stepping stone' back in.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:46 by Prod »

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Limping Duck....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 21:01 »
I think limping is probably the most common problem with my ducks and I have had a number who have developed limps over the years. They usually settle down over a matter of days so I suspect they just have a sprain or something like that. I do have 1 who has got a limp that has got slowly worse over the years but she is one of my old girls and think she is probably just getting a bit arthritic.

I wouldn't worry if there's nothing to find on examination and hopefully will settle quickly.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 19:15 »
I rubbed Ibuleve onto Ollie's leg last night and this morning....... he is now walking perfectly!!!! :wub:

jason g

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:42 »
I rubbed Ibuleve onto Ollie's leg last night and this morning....... he is now walking perfectly!!!! :wub:

:D :D :D :D

Springlands

Re: Limping Duck.... Now treated with IBULEVE!!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 13:44 »
As Kate said it is quite common for ducks to limp - it is partly because of the way they are built - they are more at home on water than on land and do injure themselves quite easily. Not too sure that I would have used Ibuleve just in case the duck licked it off its leg but hopefully all will be OK.

You are luck you managed to catch yours - the last time one of ours had a limp and OH and I tried to catch him he was still faster than both of us.  :)

Prod

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 14:39 »
Can a duck lick it's leg???? :wacko:   :D  All my call ducks are quite tame and easy to pick up. At the moment though Connie has 8 ducklings and she s VERY protective. I get nipped even when I put food and water in her pen!!!

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 20:10 »
Not sure about that but mine certainly are contortionists when it comes to grooming.  :)  Connie must be a very good mother - good for her - but not so good for you if she nips you every time.  :)

xx
Limping duck

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 12:43
by jamima
xx
Treated hens when can I start eating eggs

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 22:27
by Fluff
xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
Limping hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 11:06
by Foxy

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 32 queries.