Paving base advice...

• 16 Replies

poultrygeist

Paving base advice...
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:53 »
I've (rather stupidly) volunteered to erect a cat pen including layign a base for someone.

Basically an area approx 5m x 1.8m to be cleared of turf, excavated to level, hardcore, sand and slabs ready for erecting cat pen.

I'm thinking about 2" depth then about 1/2 tonne of aggregate and the same of sand and just loose lay the slabs on top (poss a few blobs of mortar under each slab).

Ground is fenland silty turf. Any thoughts on what else might be needed or if my quantities are way out ?

Ta v muchly

Rob 8)

btw I haven't been offered any assistance so it's me, my shovel and a holey barrow. :ohmy:

noshed

Re: Paving base advice...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:18 »
Get the cats to give you a hand.
How heavy is the pen going to be?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:32 »
It's pretty solid. Bit like a shed but half open with wire mesh. The framing is about 2x2 and it doesn't have a floor, so the cats are straight onto the slabs. I think it's going to be a major effort for little me, but I don't want to let them down without a fight at it.

Rob 8)

noshed

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 15:02 »
I haven't got a clue really Rob but a lot of shed sites have advice, like this one: http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=6&nav=0,5

I carefully researched all this when we were buying our allotment shed and then the old fellas just did what they liked anyway! It seems OK apart from it not being fully level...

Hope it turns out OK, and I hope you get handsomely rewarded.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 15:47 »
Thanks for that. I think if I ditch the aggregates and just go for a tonne of sharp sand, it should be ok if compacted well.

The reward is a few cups of tea and the mileage paid but it'll be nice to help them out.

Rob 8)

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 20:17 »
Having recently done my block paving I'd probably stick with the aggregate rather than subbing it for sand as compacted with a vibrating plate whacker it will give you a much more solid base for bedding the paving slabs to.

Because I’m ultra proud of my paving please find pic attached. Yep – I realise it's is off topic but like I say v v v proud! :) :) :)

circle 020 small.jpg

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 20:31 »
If I had a plate vibrator I'd go with that, but the best I can manage is a length of 4x2 or a sledgehammer upended !  :D

I'm doing it for the local Cat's Protection and as far as I can gather it's DIY in every sense  :unsure:

I've yet to speak to the organiser again who may mention tools but I think all I get is mileage and other out of pocket expenses. They order materials, etc.

I'll give them the options and see what transpires.

Rob 8)

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 21:46 »
fair enough!

noshed

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 22:54 »
Take your camera - there might be some nice cats there.

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 23:58 »
if u use screed sand then mix a handfull of cement mixed in under each slab then tamper the slab down it will harden up and last for years, especialy if you lay a hardcore sub base.  if you use building sand then mix as compo and lay slabs with that straight on hardcore,because if you use neat sand under the slabs the rain water wll seep through the joints and wash the sand away leaving uneven slabs.
also ifyou lay compo on sand they will just lift up
go with the first option if you have a choice.
    good luck rob
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 00:04 by digalotty »
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:24 »
Cheers. I'll cost up for that then.

As far as i can tell, they only have 1 or 2 cats per run and the runs cost about £700 each. One hell of an investment for a couple of cats, much as I like them. I expected a sort of cat hotel with space for several.

Rob

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 14:59 »
Rob,

I put a base down for my daughter's playhouse in the summer. I tamped down approx 1-2" of type 1 using my 14lb sledge, then applied about 1" of sharp sand over the top, raked it and laid the slabs directly on to it, apart from round the edges where I also mixed in a bit of cement before laying the slabs. Has lasted well so far and still looks pretty level after all that rain.

The overall size was roughly 10ft by 10ft and it took me about 5 hours, including digging out the clay to start with. once you get going with the slabs you find you can get them down pretty quickly, but it is hard work!

Good luck!

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 15:07 »
I think it's the scale of it that bother me. I've got my own garden to sort out and do't intend spending every nice day doing freebies no matter how compelling.
It's slightly beyond how it was advertised but I'll give it my best shot.

Rob 8)

shaun

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 21:04 »
forget the slabs,hardcore,sand,cement rob,dig it off 100mm deep and order 1m of concrete ,this way its quicker not so cheap but you can wash the concrete down to get rid of nasty cat wiffs  ;)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 22:05 »
Sounds like a plan shaun bu it's some poor woman's back garden and i think she's a bit annoyed that she has to have slabs down. At least they are easy to lift if she wants to  revert to lawn.

But it will be option B if she doesn't object  :)

Rob

xx
Help!!! How to build a Greenhouse base using Paving Slabs?

Started by MichelleC on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 10:14
by arugula
xx
Home-made paving slabs-advice please.............

Started by chickenboy on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 21:39
by Greengiant152
xx
Greenhouse base advice

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 20:46
by DD.
xx
Paving

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 14:49
by Casey76

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 37 queries.