Parsnips help

• 19 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Parsnips help
« on: April 05, 2011, 20:55 »
Just a quick one do i need to cover parsnips with netting like carrots or will they be ok with out.
Thanks
Kris

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Parsnips help
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 21:40 »
They are the same family as carrots and therefore suffer from the carrot root fly, which generally then enables canker to be introduced.

That being said, I haven't ever covered my parsnips before, and have always had to cut canker out before eating the rest.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 22:42 »
I've never covered parsnips and not had any real problems with pests/diseases.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 22:56 »
Totally agree with Yorkie and Solway, even when I've had a bit of carrotfly induced canker the parsnips have been so big it's been easy enough to cut it out and still feed everyone that wants some (and more)  :D
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 23:33 »
ive always managed with a bit of 'canker' too ::), however i bought some stakes today and thought about wrapping some fleece around the bed for my parsnips to create a barrier but still give me access over the top...do you think this would work? :unsure:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:09 »
Thanks for the replies will be doing them for the first time this year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:34 »
same here kris, if they ever germinate  :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:58 »
I already have to securely net my blueberries against blackbirds (ditto shallots until properly rooted), peas against pigeons (ditto nearly everything else until of a decent size), strawberries against birds (var.) and am even considering some kind of deterrent netting for the runner beans on my Munty frame (I'm convinced sparrows are using it as a convenient perch to peck the flowers), and enviromesh for carrots against carrot fly.

Think I'll continue to leave the parsnips unprotected and put up with a bit of canker (I tell myself it gives them a bit of "character"!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17 »
After all J, if we want clean uniform charachterless parsnips, we would buy them from the supermarket  ;)
Never use protection myself  :unsure:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:22 »
After all J, if we want clean uniform charachterless parsnips, we would buy them from the supermarket  ;)

Exactly! (and love to all your kids!)  :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 10:16 »

Exactly! (and love to all your kids!)  :lol:
After I posted that I had visions of Monty P's meaning of life  :D

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 15:40 »
Just a thought?

If you allow parsnips to become home to carrot fly maggots they will pupate and produce more carrot flies.

These may fly later in the year to lay their eggs on late sown carrots or wait until next Spring and lay their eggs on the early crop.

If you still have parsnips in the ground it might be a good idea to lift them. Pupae may still be in the canker areas of the roots or have dropped out into the soil. Turn the soil over to expose the pupae to the weather and the birds.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 15:53 »
Parsnip novice here too. I'm planning to sow directly in well worked and warmed (plastic sheet on the area as i speak) soil. Some sow in paper pots so i'd love the benefit of any advice as to which method works best please!  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 16:03 »
Just a thought?

If you allow parsnips to become home to carrot fly maggots they will pupate and produce more carrot flies.

These may fly later in the year to lay their eggs on late sown carrots or wait until next Spring and lay their eggs on the early crop.

If you still have parsnips in the ground it might be a good idea to lift them. Pupae may still be in the canker areas of the roots or have dropped out into the soil. Turn the soil over to expose the pupae to the weather and the birds.

Good thinking Salmo!

Apparently overwintering pupae start hatching into flies anytime now so it could be a very bad idea to sow carrots where unprotected parsnips have been lifted and then make a nice cosy home for them with enviromesh! I would guess that it would be OK to sow after about June when they should all have flown away and can be kept out rather than in.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 16:31 »
Well i got so bored of sieving soil after about 3 meters x spade width to the depth of a spade and a bit that the second row got some holes pushed in the soil and filled with compost. Lets see how they go might try and get another row or 2 in the next few weeks.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 02, 2010, 16:39
by Goosegirl
xx
First ever parsnips - YAY

Started by peanut on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 17:05
by Paul Plots
xx
Parsnips

Started by oleanders on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 15:22
by Debz and Jon

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 36 queries.