Kimchi

• 2 Replies

jambop

Kimchi
« on: July 19, 2020, 19:50 »

I like spicy food and thankfully so does my wife. I have been humming and hawing about making some kimchi for ages  and finally got round to it last week. I followed a recipe but you can really add what you like for example I added carrots. The result is sublime and I recommend it to all who might like a light pickle with a twist :lol: Re the Korean chilli no idea where you would get such a thing in rural France so I used ordinary chilli flakes... quite a lot  :tongue2:
recipe here  Kimchi recipe

straight away let me say you do not need to use a le Parfait jars they are expensive and any jar large jar will do just make sure the the seal while tight'ish allows the gases can escape. Honestly fifteen minutes to prepare and the product is ready inside a week at a constant temperature of 20C the stuff is addictive :lol:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Kimchi
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 19:40 »
I like kimchi, and have always been curious about making some at home.

I will read the recipe, but I am curious if it helps to add some juice reserved from a batch of kimchi to act as a "starter" for a new batch?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Kimchi
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 21:06 »
I am curious if it helps to add some juice reserved from a batch of kimchi to act as a "starter" for a new batch?

I never have.  There is generally enough bacteria on the veg to get things going and I like to start each batch fresh to avoid any possible off flavours.  Fermenting veg is easy and the results are way better than anything shop bought - give it a go  :)

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 42 queries.