Chicken beaks!

• 8 Replies

Scoyle

Chicken beaks!
« on: August 09, 2010, 15:29 »
I got my chickens a week ago.  I have three chickens, one whose beak is fine and the other two seem to have slightly longer lower beaks rather than upper.  The book I have on chickens says you can trim back their upper beak using nail clippers, can you do this on the lower beak?
I have also noticed that the chicken with the worst lower beak seems to be filing it herself on a paving slab, is this what she is doing and is this normal for a chicken?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicken beaks!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 18:50 »
What breed of chickens are they? I have some rescue hens and they have had their beaks clipped to prevent them pecking each other too much.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 19:42 »
My parents got some POL hybrids and they all had their beaks clipped  :mad: poor things.  Their upper beaks are noticeably shorter.  I was really surprised when I saw them considering that they weren't ex-bats.  I guess some places still do beak clipping but I don't like it.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 22:52 »
Only commercial places are supposed to beak clip now, not people rearing to sell a few birds.

I wouldn't beak clip a chicken, there are other ways to stop her pecking, but we do still clip the turkeys beaks, nothing stops them if they've a mind to!  Mind you, I don't usually take enough off and they re-grow!!

evie2

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 13:39 »
our girls had their beaks clipped just like that when we got them >:( it's cruel!!!
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

evie2

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 20:26 »
I know why it's done Tom I just don't agree with it, just as I don't agree with tail docking, breading dogs with next to no proper faces and fox hunting :)

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:13 »
oh right, well being a gamekepper im not even going to start about how tail docking is right and the hunting ban being wrong

Thanks Tomshooter as we don't want to turn this quite legitimate question into a thread that would mean me having to lock it  :D

Brambles

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:22 »
My lovely rescue hen (who sadly died last week) had her beak clipped before I got her.   She was a real bully and stripped one of my girls nearly bare of feathers just after she arrived.   The bullying was so bad, after trying everything I knew,  I had to separate her from the others... she spent her life happily on her own, but in the next run so had contact with the others...  So I don't believe that clipping is the answer at all.

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 08:25 »
It isn't but it helps usually in the close confines of a poultry farm. I have 3 rescues and 2 of those are bullies and each have their beaks clipped to various lengths, perhaps the one that you have that can pluck feathers didn't have hers done short enough.

xx
Beaks !

Started by Lindyloo on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 02:29
by hillfooter
question
Cleaning beaks!

Started by birds in a basket on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 20:55
by birds in a basket
xx
Clipped Beaks.

Started by Chicken star on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2010, 21:54
by Chicken star
xx
trimmed beaks

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:25
by evie2

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 36 queries.