compost

• 25 Replies

Dan

• Experienced Member
compost
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 01:09 »
Am i just not reading it right or something?

it costs £30 for 20 tonnes of compost....

it also costs £20 for 3 tonnes of compost? ( which is 27 tonnes less than what you get for a tenner more?)

seems daft to me?

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
compost
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 08:08 »
The dumping thing is quite shocking,
Last year our council  dumped a load of it in a main park car park, put signs up and just left it to be collected, OMG it was like they were giving away gold, people were queing in their cars, and shovelling it into carrier bags and every container they could, after filling boxes and compost bags. and doing it like maniacs!
Maybe that's what the other councils should do it seemed to work, and dumper trucks kept delivering more all day apparantly.

I have found our county compst is often a bit weedy, when I have used it previous years for pots ot is too coarse and so many weeds came up I only use it as a soil improver now.

WG.

compost
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 08:13 »
Bag it up and grow potatoes, J Art, or courgettes straight into the bag.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
compost
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 08:15 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
The dumping thing is quite shocking,
Last year our council  dumped a load of it in a main park car park, put signs up and just left it to be collected, OMG it was like they were giving away gold, people were queing in their cars, and shovelling it into carrier bags and every container they could, after filling boxes and compost bags. and doing it like maniacs!
Maybe that's what the other councils should do it seemed to work, and dumper trucks kept delivering more all day apparantly.

I have found our county compst is often a bit weedy, when I have used it previous years for pots ot is too coarse and so many weeds came up I only use it as a soil improver now.

Just hope that it's been composted at a high temperature. I'd hate to think that you were planting club root and other nasties.

Our council (Charnwood - probably the same as your's Loubylou) don't permit us to have bonfires on our plot, as the residents complain. It's OK for them to light up in their own back yard and smoke us out though!

All our waste is put in a skip, which is sub-contracted out. They had this cunning plan of taking it away themselves, shredding it and bringing it back for us to compost, as it would save them money.  The disadvantges of spreading diseases etc. has been pointed out, and in common with most of their plans, we've heard no more.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

compost
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 08:22 »
Yeah DD, the weeds thing was worrying me too.

Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Bag it up and grow potatoes, J Art, or courgettes straight into the bag.

... and, if you are ultra-cautious, you could try a bucket each for cabbage and shallots to check for clubroot / white rot respectively ??

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
compost
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 09:55 »
Yes we are Charnwood,  the bags of compost are just called county compost, so dunno where the site is, I expect the Leicestershire Rotters would tell me if I asked!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
compost
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 10:20 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Yes we are Charnwood,  the bags of compost are just called county compost, so dunno where the site is, I expect the Leicestershire Rotters would tell me if I asked!

Try this..

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/environment/waste/organo_county_compost.htm

Used to be called Lescost, the stuff I had 30 odd years ago had got glass & all sorts in it.

muntjac

compost
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 11:17 »
Quote from: "Dan"
Am i just not reading it right or something?

it costs £30 for 20 tonnes of compost....

it also costs £20 for 3 tonnes of compost? ( which is 27 tonnes less than what you get for a tenner more?)

...........seems daft to me?
that is the whole point dan .......... :roll: why bother doing the blooming stuff to just dump it .. its costing more of our tax money to make it than they get for it   :x  :x
still alive /............

Dan

• Experienced Member
compost
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 14:43 »
Im not sure im getting the point? or you lot are not seeing it?

Surely it cannot be only ten pounds more for a whopping 27 tonnes extra? .....

So in affect its

Compost...£20 for a 3 tonne bag or for ten quid more we will throw in a free 27 tonnes? WTF

philmay

compost
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 14:55 »
Dan,
 It's not so much the cost of the compost it's the cost of the vehicle to deliver it. 3 ton or 30 ton still only takes one lorry.

Dan

• Experienced Member
compost
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 15:04 »
blimey so its not a typo then? what a crazy deal..
i wonder if you can pay a tenner and just have the "extra" 24 tonnes?

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 29 queries.