First year cordon apple pruning

• 2 Replies

Simon Thompson

First year cordon apple pruning
« on: August 30, 2021, 08:00 »
In March this year I planted two first year cordon apple trees on my allotment, growing them at a 45 degree angle.

I've had no apples forming on them and only a couple of flowers in late Spring, although there has been some growth.

I'm now wondering about pruning. Typically I should do this in August or September but is it necessary/advisable in the first year of planting, or should I wait until August next year?

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: First year cordon apple pruning
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 09:52 »
Hi Simon & welcome to the site!

I put in some new cordons this year, and I haven't needed to prune any of them either, just tied them in as the leader has grown along the cane. There's nothing to prune this year as they haven't reached the ends of their canes or started sending out side shoots.  One out of five has a small amount of fruit.

The established cordons have just had their annual pruning, and there was quite a lot to take off this year to try and keep them in shape. 

G&R

Simon Thompson

Re: First year cordon apple pruning
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 12:45 »
I put in some new cordons this year, and I haven't needed to prune any of them either, just tied them in as the leader has grown along the cane. There's nothing to prune this year as they haven't reached the ends of their canes or started sending out side shoots.  One out of five has a small amount of fruit.

G&R

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I wasn't sure about leaving them but if it works for you then I won't be making some horrible error if I give it a miss as you're suggesting   :)

xx
Pruning my apple cordon

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 19:15
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Pruning a 1 year old apple tree

Started by Weessy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 20:22
by Weessy
clip
Apple cordon help

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2023, 16:48
by Grubbypaws
xx
Prunning cordon apple

Started by Amilo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 21:08
by aqua

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 37 queries.