Old apple tree

• 6 Replies

chutneymaster

Old apple tree
« on: September 16, 2006, 10:03 »
We moved into our bungalow about nine years ago. At the bottom of the garden is a very old and scraggy looking apple tree, it's never had an apple on it since we moved in, this year as you are probably aware there has been a hose pipe ban in south east Kent, we have placed water butts everywhere and although the garden doesn’t look as lush as previous years we have not lost any plants to the drought. The strange thing is the apple tree is laden with apples!!!!! They are not particularly special but this is probably due to the state of the tree. Sorry about the delay but .............when would you suggest is the best time to prune and what would you recommend as a wash and a paint for sawn branches. Any help would be appreciated.
Eagles soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Old apple tree
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:41 »
Cut in the winter. I never bothered applying anything to the cuts. The reason for winter pruning is to make sure bugs don't get in those cuts and it's less buggy then than any other time of the year.
We had one apple tree on our plot that didn't fruit last year. Pruned it over the winter and this year we have loads of apples on it. Silly bugs still eating most of them but oh well, that's organic gardening for you.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

James

• Experienced Member
Old apple tree
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:00 »
It's been a great year for fruit trees as a result of the late spring... which meant that they flowered late, so were not damaged by frost and other wintry weather.

I wouldn't paint them.

You should prune it about November - after the fruit has fallen.  And again after the fruiting spurs have formed - you should shorten them to three leaves - that means that the fruit develops close to the main branch.

As for bugs, top tip from gardeners' question time on Radio 4 last week was that you should not pick up your windfalls, but instead cut them in half so that the birds and wasps will not have to attack undamaged fruit.

spud

• Experienced Member
Old apple tree
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 13:03 »
I'm hearing what is being said but I don't get the picture of what is needing to be done, sorry! I have new tree's and don't know how to prune them, perhaps someone can give clear, precise instructions to us that have never done this process

Thanks.... :)
Best Regards,

spud

toto691

Old apple tree
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 19:00 »
This seems to show a VERY good example of apple pruning....  i will be using this myself for my newly planted!

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2d_apple.asp

spud

• Experienced Member
Old apple tree
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 10:41 »
Tnx toto691,

Now I've got the picture! Didn't find that on my searchs...I had been taking out small branches where I didn't want them but that was all...now I've got the confidance to go at it a little harder....and not risking the crop for next year, as they are just wonderful to eat!

A friend who has an apple allergy can eat my apples with no ill effect, says it all dosn't it?

Thanks again... :D

chutneymaster

Old apple tree
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 07:36 »
Quote from: "toto691"
This seems to show a VERY good example of apple pruning....  i will be using this myself for my newly planted!

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2d_apple.asp

Many thanks for all the help.

xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
Which apple tree?

Started by wooley1000 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 16, 2010, 18:37
by wooley1000

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 39 queries.