Had a great day with Bee's

• 29 Replies

Pol

• Pauline
Re: Had a great day with Bee's
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 21:41 »
I have just received a budget starter kit from Thornes that includes a full National hive (with frames and wax); tunic and hood; gloves; smoker (with 2 cartridges); hive tool; and feed bucket for £200.  The hive is 'second' quality but I spotted no problems with it when building it up on Thursday (I thought it was good to construct it so I got a feel for how a hive is put together).

£200 is a lot less than the cost of the parts as the 'full' quality hives alone are more than that.  The only niggle was the delivery time as it was almost 2 months from when I ordered it, and the 'bees on a budget' kits are only available online.

I did a starter course last year, being lucky enough to get on via a lottery draw at the association, and now need to get my apiary area enclosed on the allotment before hopefully getting the bees in the next month or two.

It is a fascinating addiction even before getting the bees so good luck with it all.

I have look at a starter kit and they were well over £300 so at £200 very good, OH is looking at making the hive, need to price up the cedar wood we have found a shop in Sheffield that sale it.
Thornes tomorrow, we are going on our moter bike so can not buy alot :tongue2:
Going away end of May and there is a beekeeping auction near by so going to have a look at that  :D
You sound just about ready for your bees good luck and keep us posted
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 07:08 »
going to YABeep today http://yabeep.blogspot.com/ where we have a talk on feral bees then back to look and open I believe some kenyan top bar hives and some Warée hives. Later in the day people who want to will be making solitary bee hives.
This is a great bunch of people and if you are interested in natural bee-keeping I would advise that you get in touch with them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 07:11 »
don't forget folks we do like photos so we know what these hives etc look like  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 07:27 »
Here are some pictures of the hives I am talking about, none of these hives have frames or foundation they also do not use suppers, they are based on a more natural way of bee keeping letting the bees decide how they want to build their comb.

Kenyan top bar hive

Warée Hive although this may look like a standard hive again there are no frames in the hive the bees are allowed to build their comb as they would in nature from the top down. Instead of suppering the hive when it fills with honey they are naried a box is put underneath and the bees carry on down. This is a tall one and you would normally start off with a couple of boxes first.

This is our Hive again in side is a wooden box with just top bars, we have chained ours slightly and ours is also designed to accept frames as well but it is recommended for top bars.

The design of the first two hives is such that they can be built with very little money and expense, they can be made of old pallets or any other wood that is available. For instance I am going to YABeeP at the end of the month to build Warée hives the cost of these complete will be less than £45.00 with new wood. The only other things needed apart from bees is a suit, hive tool and water sprayer ( we don't use smoke) hope you have found this interesting

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 07:31 »
Thanks Kevinp will look at yabeep

Will do Joyfull

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 21:54 »
Hi all I have ordered my hive:D I am going with the National we have ordered it from Peak Hive in Derbyshire at a cost of about £250 thats just the hive. It is going to take 5 weeks for it to be made OH say he will buy it for our wedding anniversary :D :D
Recent_Deal_Hive-225x300[1].jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 09:07 »
what a super anniversary pressie  :D

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 20:58 »
wow thats brill! i have just ordered a bee suit after spending sat mornin at the apiary at thrybergh! it was fantastic to look inside a hive for the first time and im hooked!

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 22:29 »
wow thats brill! i have just ordered a bee suit after spending sat mornin at the apiary at thrybergh! it was fantastic to look inside a hive for the first time and im hooked!

I have'nt got the bee suit yet just looking at them.
It sounds like you had a great morning at Thrybergh I did'nt make it:( are you going to the meeting next Wednesday?

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 18:34 »
yeah i will be! they have been really helpfull so far!

BarnBrian

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 06:39 »
Like Kevinp we just have top bar Warre hives. I also don't use smoke, or water for that matter. No chemicals and minimal disturbance to the hives, I only open them two or max three times a year.
BBKA members tend to be a bit anti about top bars. Take a look at the biobees website for plenty of info.

BarnBrian
There's more to life than increasing its speed.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 22:09 »
Thanks BarnBrian will do

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 21:25 »
Brian thought you might be interested in the Warée hive I built at the weekend, there were 18 hives made in total on saturday with YABeep at Yatton in somerset.

We made the Warée hives with modified boxes to accept frames as the bees move down the frames can then be removed. and they also have  windows in the back with removable covers, deep sumps for varola trays and mesh, for those that wanted them, the sumps can also used to feed the bees if needed

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 21:28 by kevinp »

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 20:23 »
Wow, that is a fab looking hive.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 22:32 »
I am pleased with it the price of £45.00 helped as well :) I will probqably make a few more in the future.

I am going on one of Phil Chandlers courses next weekend and really looking forward to it. Its at a place called Embercombe
http://www.embercombe.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=127

xx
What a great vet

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 15:07
by composthappens
xx
Hammy's Great Adventure

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

48 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 10:44
by Debz

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.