Plug Plants

• 25 Replies

nickmcmechan

Plug Plants
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:22 »
Have been looking through seed catalogues and saw packs of plug plants.

As its my first allotment and first time, I thought maybe I should maybe give plug plants a go for the first year and then do seeds the following year when i've built up a bit of experience?

I know this will be an expensive way to do it, just wondered your thoughts and any suppliers you can put me in the direction of?

Ta.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Plug Plants
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:56 »
Nothing wrong with plug plants, but the sooner you gain experience in seed sowing the better IMO.

If you do buy them you will miss one of the all time highs..........when your seeds, lovingly sown and nurtured by yourself, germinate.
It's an amazing feeling, no matter how long you've been growing stuff, when you see the first little leaves unfold.  :lol:

It's not really difficult either............seeds really really want to grow! (though occasionally things do go wrong for all of us ...that's life)

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:09 »
I have been very disapointed with Plug Plants, my success rate has not been good, I got them from a good supplier, but I lost a lot.

This has been with flowers but do not know if that makes any difference.

I personally think they are expensive :( :( :(

prakash_mib

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:12 »
MOS is right. and growing from seed, you always sow more to compensate failed seeds. but on plug plants you are stuck with what you get from the garden center.
here is an idea!
Toms, chilli, aubs (if you want to grow them) takes really long time in windowsill. try them for plugs.(last year my aubs werre total failure and chillies but toms produced great result... all from seed)

brassicas dont bother cold at all (not adverse though) and you can put them in seed tray, outside under cover (like green house or green shelf from BEEQ)  and they are great.

As for peas just dig a 2 1/2 inch trench and sow them outdoors straight where you want and cover them with netting. They will pop out. for your information I sowed a 2'X2' of peas in late august for testing in my front bed. All came out, all flowered and all having pea pods (not so great looking with the current weather) but I deemed them very successful.

and finally squash are very easy (except some cucumber nightmares) but you just need couple of plants of courgettes for your whole family (whatever may be the size of your family) so try them in plugs (I did the same last year)

sweetcorns -> paperpots sowing -> plant out in 3 weeks.

potatoes -> cant grow from plugs (or can you?)

beans - decide on your own  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:16 »
Nothing wrong with plug plants, but the sooner you gain experience in seed sowing the better IMO.

If you do buy them you will miss one of the all time highs..........when your seeds, lovingly sown and nurtured by yourself, germinate.
It's an amazing feeling, no matter how long you've been growing stuff, when you see the first little leaves unfold.  :lol:

It's not really difficult either............seeds really really want to grow! (though occasionally things do go wrong for all of us ...that's life)

All so true Mum (and a darn sight cheaper too!)  ;)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 17:01 »
Start with seeds and any that are dissapointing buy plugs to compensate. Last season i only managed 2 sweet corn seedlings from 30 sown. Whilst in B&Q i noticed they had strips of sweet corn on special offer so bought them and they rewarded me the best sweet corn i have grown.

andy135

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 17:15 »
, you always sow more to compensate failed seeds.

That is so true, but my problem is that I dont like doing away with the extra seedlings and end up trying to find a bit of extra space for them.

I really agree that there is little to better the sight of seedlings bursting through the soil.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 20:49 »
Maybe instead of just doing one or the other you could buy in some plug plants for certain veg and sew seeds for other types i.e corn, carrots... Maybe that way it will ease the pressure a little and you'll get the best of both worlds. :)

fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 20:52 »
I say ignore Plug Plants where possible and grow from see.
Sow more than you will need and you can't go wrong.
Seed all the way.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

mashauk

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 21:06 »
I always buy aubergine plants though, as I just cannot get them to grow from seed!

nickmcmechan

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 14:44 »
Seems like brill advice - I think I'll avoid plug plants on the whole, except maybe squash.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 15:40 »
that would be a shame as squash and courgettes are some of the easiest to germinate IMO

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 15:59 »
The vast majority of veg seeds germinate easily somewhere like a kitchen windowsill (indoors, of course!)

I think many problems are caused by overwatering which can cause the seed to rot, or failing to uncover (if covered!) after germination which can cause damping off.

If you avoid those problems it's really quite easy, but remember that not all seeds germinate in only a few days!

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 18:56 »
Have a go with some seeds in a tray or small pot. It really is so much cheaper!

I grow my beetroot this way rather than sowing seed straight into the ground. The results are more predicatble and the seeds easier to keep an eye on at home. There's less weeding and I get the plants spaced out exactly where I want them.

Squash and courgettes are a doddle - 3" pot of compost, plonk in the seed, water, keep warm - watch and wait and bingo = loads of money saved as well as a great deal of pride and satisfaction!!!  ;)

Beetroot grown from seed in a tray of small individual cells (my own very cheap plug plants) - You can do it! Give it a go.  :)
April 13th 2009_004.jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

noshed

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 19:29 »
Those plug inserts for seed trays are the bees knees - it make sit easier to sow thinly and transplanting is simple.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Plug plants

Started by thatruddyvicar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 16:57
by angelavdavis
xx
Where do you get your plug plants from?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 15:18
by growingvegrocks!
xx
Plug plants

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 23:33
by pol and mick
xx
veg plug plants

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 21:53
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.