Recycling

• 13 Replies

mrs bouquet

Recycling
« on: November 22, 2018, 16:45 »
Had an interesting WI trip yesterday to the Recycling Plant for the whole of Sussex.  I learned some things I didn't know.
Every area is different dependant on what the Plant can do.  (Apparently Manchester, which was the very first, cannot take Glass)
I have been putting bit of paper torn up inside a used envelope.  Cannot do that, the machines cannot pick it up.  No bottle tops of any sort.  There are 2 or 3 fires every week, due to people putting used batteries in there.
We have no Landfill, and stuff for incineration has to go to Rochester, and then on to Skelmersdale.
The Chinese will still pay good money for paper, but it has to be the top class, ie:  Not wet, no food contamination etc.
It seems that the rules of thumb for paper and wrappers, is to scrunch it up, if it stays crunched its ok, if not it must go in household waste.
Horrible things that people do is - dirty nappies, roadkill, dog poo, etc.   Who on earth would do that !
Yes, an interesting visit, and quite surprising in many ways.   Regards Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Recycling
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 17:01 »
We recently got a recycling wheel (you know one of those things where you line the arrow up with the item you're interested in) and was really surprised by the number of things you can't recycle which I assumed you could. Yet they still keep saying that 2/3rds of our rubbish can be recycled rather than put in the refuse bin  :wacko:

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 18:11 »
Recycling is just so frustrating to me you can't do this you can't do that black plastic is a no no  and now there considering a charge for taking anything to the Recycling centre that inserdently only opens around three days now instead of every day

so what hapens to what should end up at the Recycling centre its all dumped in farm gateways in laybys and in country lanes everything from tyres to the kitchen sink so much for the enviroment lobby and all that fuss about plastic its about time we put it to some good use like burning it to produce energy instead of buying energy from other countries

if they  put a price on returning plastic to the Recycle centre like you get when you take your scrap metal to the scrap yard I've had a few bob from scrap i took an old tractor battery and got eight quid for it

there's always a solution to these thing if anyone can be prepared to do something about it  :mad:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 19:36 »
As I mentioned, it will depend on the technology of your particular Council.   The question was asked about black plastic, and here its absolutely fine.   Mrs Bouquet

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 08:18 »
Since I got my allotment I have found my green bin only goes out once a month and then is only half full, same with the brown (garden waste).

Anything that can be composted is used, on green bin days any cardboard that is left out by neighbours, I collect before the bin man. Always on lookout for trees/bush/hedges being cut, lawns (that have not been treated) mowed, neighbours that burn wood only save their ash for me, food scarps also, my wife calls me Steptoe.

On a side note there is a village in Norfolk called Trunch, which runs community composting scheme which makes money for the village.

Composting Scheme - Trunch Village

All this does not help with the plastic from packaging I know but perhaps if we all took the plastic back to the supermarket for them to recycle they would take action.
It worked for Walkers crisp after their packaging was returned to them.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 08:52 »
Our council have provided various bins over the years, we are now down to 1 wheelie bin for plastics,paper & card & glass, it all goes in together. Black plastic can’t be recycled though. I recently found out that if you cut up a plastic milk bottle that can’t be recycled! All plastic tops can go in.
I tend to keep most of the paper & card for the compost bins though. They did a trial of collecting food waste although it went off to Derbyshire I believe, but it was scrapped as they couldn’t afford to set up the facility in Leicestershire, so I bought a Green Johanna compost bin for cooked food waste, takes me about 2 years to fill it.
As for bottle tops there are charities that collect them for good causes.

I really think that it should be legislated that packaging is all be recycled & not allowed in the country if it can’t. I also think we need to invest in more reusable products that don’t involve plastic to save our wildlife
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 17:35 »
I'm afraid this is a very frustrating topic to me because we are in a plastic world I'm afraid and there's not many out there prepared to actually dispose of there rubbish in what I call an environmental way

lets go back to my younger days when you took your empty pop bottles or and beer bottles you found back to the pub or shop and got money back for them well that was your pocket money but today the best place one can find empty bottles is on the side the road not to mention the many cans enough to build several car bodies

so how many people today  actually give a cuss to clean up there environment I suspect a small minority of us on the television the other night there was a few dedicated volunteers pulling supermarket trollies out of a river possibly twenty baskets or more that was stopping the salmon getting through those baskets didn't put themselves there did they as for black pots land fill I'm afraid

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 18:15 »
    Have a look at this it will show you how it is done, and how far this country is behind.

Recycling in the USA
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Ihfe6X_UM

Hopefully I've fixed the link.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 15:20 by mumofstig »
Colin

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 11:03 »
Woman cashier in Tesco yesterday,  Oh, I don't knowing anything about recycling and what goes in what bin.
Me, Well perhaps you should go there for a visit, its very interesting and informative, and you would know what to put where.
Her.  I haven't got the time or inclination to waste my time sorting stuff, I am too busy with my life.

There were so many things to reply with, but my sensible head said, she is just too ignorant.   So I shut up like a clam, paid and walked out.  :mad:   
With that sort of attitude what hope is there.    Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 14:06 »
    Have a look at this it will show you how it is done, and how far this country is behind.

Recycling in the USA
   20Ihfe6X_um

Sorry but that link doesn’t work Wapello

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 15:23 »
There were no hyperlink brackets around the link as the system here, doesn't add them automatically to youtube links.
It should work ok now.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 16:30 »
There were no hyperlink brackets around the link as the system here, doesn't add them automatically to youtube links.
It should work ok now.

Ahh thanks mum, I knew there was stuff missing but no no Idea what 😊🤞

grinling

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 16:56 »
France has communial recycling areas in villages where you take it to rather than a bin collection

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 18:04 »
maybe we mite follow France as our bin collections get longer and longer and you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink because there are many people like your supermarket lady that are just no interested in recycling because its so easy  to dump it on the side of the road and let some other person clear it up

if they looked how much it cost the councils to clear up this mess and I add the cost is passed on to those who pay rates or council tax  :mad:

and if anyone gets court fly tipping round hear  that would be indeed a miracle the punishment they could end up with a few hours community service hat's if even  bother to turning  up >:(

xx
Bin Men have taken the recycling AND the bin

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2024, 10:15
by vikingraider
xx
Recycling and waste dumps.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2021, 12:57
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Recycling old mobile phones

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2019, 18:15
by Aidy

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 39 queries.