help!!!!

• 9 Replies

nic n dave

help!!!!
« on: September 09, 2011, 20:08 »
just gone to shut the door on my chicken coop the one that has one of my hens in and 4 baby chicks that are not even a week old, and she hasnt gone in she is sitting in a corner at the back of the run with her chicks under her, we have tried to move her to get her in because the base of the run is just sitting on the grass and i can see her and the chicks being gone in the morning and had by foxes. but shes having none of it shes not letting us touch her shes just making barking noises at us and really visously going for our hands! ive tried giving her a little shove with things just to get her up and save my hands! but nothing.... i dont no what to do....just hope they are all fine by morning?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 20:16 »
check for red mites - this may be the reason she doesn't want to go in.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nic n dave

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 20:17 »
its a brand new coop this is only her 2nd night in it so def no mites. and she went in fine yesterday?

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 20:24 »
then you will just have to pick her up and place her and her chicks inside.

nic n dave

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 20:26 »
shes not letting us get near here shes just going for us, i thought chickens just peck but i swear she was biting! its not just the odd peck shes going mad, ive never known her to be like this shes normally placid but its like shes a different bird and not a nice one

evie2

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 20:29 »
Put gloves and long sleeves on and try to keep your eyes away from her, best of luck :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 20:39 »
she is being a very good mum and trying to stop you going near her chicks, you will just have to do what evie2 has just said and don gauntlets and grab her and her chicks for their own safety.

evie2

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 20:54 »
Yep, tourettes chicken was just the same, you could hear her growl from a distance.  As Joyfull said, she's being a good mum :)

nic n dave

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 22:00 »
all is well now, thankgod!!! had to wrap a jacket around our arms and still she didnt move, so we got a big light and for some reason she must have thought it was daytime and got up and started eating??? so grabbed the chicks and put them in the coop and boy she went mad when she realised but she soon ran to them and we shut the door.
what on earth posessed her to keep herself and her chicks outside for the night??

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 08:12 »
is there a ramp to get in and out of the coop? If so this is the problem, very young chicks can struggle with even the shallowest of ramps so you may have to repeat this procedure for a week or so after that the little ones will be able to half fly half jump up the ramp.

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.