HUGE bees in my compost heap

• 7 Replies

goose

• Experienced Member
HUGE bees in my compost heap
« on: September 24, 2011, 17:15 »
  :ohmy:...i was happily clearing out one of my compost heaps (at home) to take down to the lottie to dig in the poor areas of ground.  I heard a buzzing and saw a HUGE bumble bee (almost 1.5inches) buzzing away.....i moved out of the way for a bit to let it get its bearings and fly away, but then saw about another 10!  all HUGE.  they all seemed very disorientated and sleepy and some of them eventually took flight, but returned to the heap appearing to look for their entrance.

I have looked on the internet to see what species they are but cannot match up any of the photos.  It seemed weird to see so many huge bees in the same spot :unsure:....i have now left them alone but i am a bit worried about just how many i have (i know they are good insects) but i could really do with the compost ::), or if i have ruined their habitat :(

Does anyone have any idea what type they are and experienced this before?  They are quite long and some had orange heads and a couple black, all the same size (almost 1.5 inches) quite furry and orange stripes...although i didnt spend THAT long looking at them before a made a hasty retreat :lol:

Trillium

Re: HUGE bees in my compost heap
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 18:49 »
Most bees, other than honeybees which live in hives, will find soft earthy areas and will dig out a winter nest for themselves. Normally only the queen survives the winter.

Come spring, they'll move into an upground nest somewhere and you'll have your compost back. I can sympathize wanting your compost but a lot of bee species are having a tough time surviving, so if you can wait until spring, you'll really help them out.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 19:14 »
dont worry, they can stay where they are for now :D...they are too big to argue with anyway :lol:.....its just that i havent ever seen so many HUGE ones together before.....i will be keeping out of their way for now and will look again in spring to see if they are still living in there ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 19:18 »
They actually sound quite exciting  :D :D

Hope they are still there tomorrow so you can get another good look at them  :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 20:29 »
i am away for a few days, but will report back.....although it was only when i disturbed their nest? that they started to complain....BTW,Mods....i didnt realise i now had to consider these as pets :lol:.......perhaps we should start naming them :D

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 22:41 »
Good idea  :D Just remember that all bee workers are females.  8)

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 21:29 »
...update....now back at home, have surveyed the compost heap and cant see any movement.  I have decided to leave well alone and hope they survive the winter and move on in the spring.  without upsetting their nest/home, i cant tell if they are still there but its not a problem as long as they are content......if anyone knows anything about these rather large species building nests, it would be nice to gain some more knowledge about them.

cricketwidow

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21 »
For the last 2 years I have had Hornets which look like very large bees, they made a nest in the bank last year and this year under the back porch roof, I am afraid that I had to have them removed on both occasions as at night as soon as you put a light on they all go for the lights, which means they get in the house and against all the windows.  So if these are so large you could have Hornets.

xx
bees in my compost heap

Started by l meyers on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 22:54
by compostqueen
xx
Bumble bees in the compost bin

Started by Debz on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 11:58
by Robster
xx
i want to get some bees

Started by joshbuchan on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 20:34
by joshbuchan
xx
New bees

Started by ManicMum on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:04
by darren64

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.